New Surface Pro 3 Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction & Site Assistance' started by jase, Oct 20, 2015.

1. jase

jase New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hi everyone.
    I just recently got myself a Surface Pro 3, i3 64gb.
    First off I upgraded the SP3 from 8.1 to Windows 10.
    I then eventually worked out how to get into the UEFI and how to boot from a USB which incidentally needed to be formatted with FAT32. Once I managed to get Win 10 installed that's when the fun began. I ran into so many difficulties with Windows Update which I think was down to the wifi connection. I read in a few places that there was an issue with the WiFi and also read on this forum that if you had a Bluetooth mouse attached it could interfere with the WiFi. I did have a Bluetooth mouse attached so I removed that and the WiFi seemed to improve a little.
    I then had to change some of the settings on my router. I took off the 5GHz wireless connection and just let it connect via 2.4GHz and this improved the connection also.
    Oh and what an effort it was to get the 15/09/15 firmware update to install. It kept failing all the time but eventually I got it installed.
    I then did another fresh install of Windows 10 as I felt had ironed out some of the issues but I had to install the firmware update again. Is this normal as I would have thought once its done that's it, much like a bios update?
    Could someone clarify this please?

Any tips would be welcome and please tell me that other people had some of the same issues as myself just so I know I'm not alone.

thanks

2. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Welcome, @jase

That's a long story. Did you buy your SP3 new?

3. jase

jase New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Yeah I purchased it new yesterday

4. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Welcome aboard @jase

5. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Glad you got it sorted.

And, yes, many of us are bugged by firmware updates repeatedly wanting to update. Microsoft recognizes this problem.