What's new

New Surface Pro 3

offshell

I'd been eyeing the surface for a while, but never really made any movement towards getting one. I do a lot of web development with ruby and a little python along with Adobe CC. I have a mixture of computers with windows, linux, and mac along with android tablets and an iphone. I actually went into the store to look at the iPad Air 2, but left with the SP3 i5/256. Now I've only had it for two days, but I love this thing already and thats without the cover. The store only had purple type covers, so I ordered one on amazon that should be here tomorrow along with a few cases and a microsd card.

I do have a few questions though. First of all, is it at all possible to reposition the modern ui onscreen keyboard? I like to use device in portrait mode as a tablet, but it feels just a bit top heavy trying to type at the very bottom edge. In desktop mode, I can slide the keyboard up just a bit and it feels much more balanced.

Second, I've read and seen the different threads on battery life and browsers so I've been sticking with IE11, but I'm seriously missing the integration of things like lastpass and pinboard. Is there a next best thing for battery life in the modern ui that has extensions or maybe a password manager that has a better integration?

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with battery life when running something like vagrant? I imagine it takes a bit hit, but I'm curious how bad. I do wish there was a power cover for the SP3. I guess I can buy the original version even though it doesn't fit correctly. It does work though, right?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll be glad you didn't pick up the ipad air 2. Firstly they are totally different animals, and secondly, i just received my ipad air 2 today and first, it's a POS, and second, compared to the surface it's like comparing the mona lisa to pain by numbers. gonna give it to the gf. My nexus 10 still seems far superior to the ipad despite being slower and older and such. One of the biggest issues is having had stero speakers on my nexus 10 and 7, htc one, and now the surface pro, the speakers on the ipad are just a complete and utter joke. who in hell watches films and such in mono??

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
1. Currently it is not possible to reposition the landscape-mode onscreen keyboard. Since the 'split' keyboard is somewhat resizable, future updates may also make the traditional onscreen keyboards resizable.

2. [don't have an answer for you on this one - I am happy with IE in desktop mode for now]

3. Yes, the Power Cover does work with the Surface Pro 3. I use mine about once per month (carry it in my bag) when I become alarmed about losing battery power, and I am away from mains power.

I am a Mac guy and a PC guy. I am a burger guy and a pizza guy. I don't think it is necessary to call any device, which is a matter of personal needs and personal taste, a 'POS', as posted above. The best computer is the one you use.

Congrats on your SP3 purchase, @offshell. You sound like a careful, informed shopper.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a Mac guy and a PC guy. I am a burger guy and a pizza guy. I don't think it is necessary to call any device, which is a matter of personal needs and personal taste, a 'POS', as posted above. The best computer is the one you use.

Speak for yourself, When i buy a brand new product from one of the worlds leading technology company and it repeatedly locks up during the initial setup, i will consider it a POS, or maybe that it drops my wifi connection every couple of minutes, or despite being connected to wifi and internet, unable to access the "create an apple account" bit for hours on end meaning i can't access the app store or do very much with the thing. So yeah, i feel i'm fair in calling it a POS given my experience. The best computer is one that works, this is barely capable of that. It's gone straight back in the box.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you got a bad Mac, plain and simple. Your experience is not common by any means.

Indeed, but this doesn't change the fact that as stated, my ipad is a POS :) Now i've got the fun of having to deal with a company who don't believe in the idea of the UK consumer protection regulations (was bought through univeristy book shop, not directly via apple)

OP
O

offshell

1. Currently it is not possible to reposition the landscape-mode onscreen keyboard. Since the 'split' keyboard is somewhat resizable, future updates may also make the traditional onscreen keyboards resizable.

2. [don't have an answer for you on this one - I am happy with IE in desktop mode for now]

3. Yes, the Power Cover does work with the Surface Pro 3. I use mine about once per month (carry it in my bag) when I become alarmed about losing battery power, and I am away from mains power.

Congrats on your SP3 purchase, @offshell. You sound like a careful, informed shopper.

Thanks for that. In regards to the keyboard I meant the vertical position in portrait mode. In desktop mode I can position it vertically. Like in the attached picture although maybe not so drastic, I'd love to be able to move the modern ui keyboard up just a bit to better balance it. I'm guessing that's not possible yet, but hopefully its possible someday.
Screenshot (6).png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that. ... I meant the vertical position in portrait mode...
View attachment 4702

That's a great suggestion. I will include that in my features suggestions to Microsoft regarding Windows 10.

Meanwhile, run this command:
keyboard
or
osk
or
%windir%\System32\osk.exe

You will find an on-screen keyboard which may be moved and sized on-the-fly. it also can provide a numeric keypad.

Also, the Microsoft App Store has a "Hot Virtual Keyboard" and "Comfort On-Screen Keyboard Pro" you may be interested in.

InspectHerGadget

The iPad Air is great and is what I use as a tablet. I love the SP3 which is my laptop.

I don't have any issues with WiFi .

I agree it is nonsensical to bag the Air 2 which is recognised as a really great tablet in a forum of gadgeteers.

If you search here likewise you will get people, who likewise, will claim their SP3 is a POS for various reasons.

I'm sure there are fault devices from both camps.

They are also quite different.