What's new

New Surface Pro heating up during charging

aiglesh

I bough it few weeks back. I just noticed yesterday that during charging the upper back becomes pretty hot to touch. Is it normal or I have got a defected device?

I must mention that it is i5 version and otherwise when it is off charger and being used it is not using up at all ( my use is not CPU intensive any way).

I guess I need to investigate it further. I need to go to a store and try to check a display unit of it is behaving in the same way or not.

Thanks for any replies. BTW I am on Falls creators update.

Last edited:

Wevenhuis

Hi,

Do your charge with the pc on or off? I have two first gen surface pro devices. They generally get a little warmer when charging while the pc is active. They surface pro doesnt'get warm when charged off or in sleep mode. Now my first gen may not be all too comparable to the internals of the new gen devices, but I do think certain basic principles apply. Even my lumia 950 XL gets warmer when charging while active than when on standby, with no app running in the backgroud. I think there is a common theme here.

For more insights on thermals on the new surface pro, I can recommend your to read this article on windows central and see the ifixit video of the surface pro "5" (2017 model).

Surface Pro 2017 review: A 2-in-1 tablet you'll actually want to use
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Teardown

OP
A

aiglesh

Hi Guys! I am sorry. It was a false alarm. I rechecked twice and no such issues any more. Tablet remains cool even while charging.
Thanks for the reply.