What's new

New Surface Pro Marvell Avastar 350N Wi-Fi drivers 14.69.24044.150

jose.cboliveira

Hi guys!
Proud owner of a SP2 & first post here :)

I have a big problem connecting to my University's wireless network (eduroam) secured with WPA Enterprise 2. It connects with every other protocol without problem.
All the configurations and credentials are ok, I get a dhcp address but no other communication, meaning no internet whatsoever.

I start to think the problem is this Marvell driver. Do you guys think I will have success rolling back the driver?

Anyway this problem needs to be addressed but I'm not even sure where to report it, or even concerning Marvell or Microsoft.

Any Feed will be appreciated

Cheers
-Rui
Had the same problem in N eduroam but no problem in G. Pinpoint the problem to roam between AP, the driver doesn't allow to impose roam politics and that could be a problem in eduroam.

José

rmblue2

Many of Surface's conectivity issues have to do with wireless network configuration. It likes TKIP more than AES, 802.11g more than 801.11n. It's not driver related, there were many wi-fi driver updates and none of them did any good. You can try one of the older drivers, pre Win8 cause it may have something to do with how Windows 8 handles wireless.
Ok I did try with older drivers but with no luck. :(
There is none I can do about the wireless configuration! This is an European Wireless network for ALL Universities with the same SSID (eduroam) and same type of security/authentication (WPA Entrepise 2). It's a shame only Surface Pro can't manage to connect properly.
Meanwhile I've contacted MS Surface support to report and try to solve this issue. They are analyzing it and will contact me soon.
Had the same problem in N eduroam but no problem in G. Pinpoint the problem to roam between AP, the driver doesn't allow to impose roam politics and that could be a problem in eduroam.

José
Sended you PM!

mitchellvii

I have my home router running on AES, N-only and except when my Touch Bluetooth Mouse is connected I get excellent 60 mbps down no problems at all.

If you are really having a tough time just go on Amazon and get one of the tiny USB wifi adapters they sell there ($10). Will bypass Marvell completely.

Amazon.com: Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter with EZmax Setup Wizard: Computers & Accessories

wifi adapter.jpg

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

By problems you mean to say you've got no internet at all?

By problem I mean the connection is never made. It tries to connect and says its taking too long to connect to the network. However, sitting in the same place, I can connect to two other parallel networks in that area just fine.

I should add though that on Friday, I was able to connect to Eduroam just fine.

So, I have to conclude that there may have been a problem with the Eduroam network on the days I was trying to connect.

demandarin

I'm wondering if this is the same drivers update anandtech mentioned that brought significant improvement in battery life for pro 2.

I loaded this new WiFi and BT driver very early this morning. I want even at full charge and my pro has been going nonstop. Web surfing and streaming HD videos. I can tell the battery in my pro is draining mich slower since I put in these new wireless drivers.

Time to do a more thorough battery test once its fully charged.

Anadtech said the new drivers allowed the WiFi to go into a lower power state. I wonder if the same is occurring when we load the same drivers in pro 1. Plus I'm not even on battery savings mode. I'm using balanced and its been draining very slow since driver install and reboot.

mtalinm

I had terrible connectivity problems with my SP1. After spending 3 hours on the phone with MSFT support and reformatting my hard drive, they finally gave up and swapped it out for a new one. No problems since then.

demandarin

Anandtech was referring to the new firmware update, not a new driver. Not applicable to the RT devices

I know. As I have a pro. anandtech said the new update which brought new updated drivers improved battery life. Specifically being the newly updated Marvell drivers that allowed WiFi to reach a lower power state. The update included the drivers. Which I believe was posted in this thread. As I downloaded the update then unpackaged it. Then I deleted everything but the new WiFi and BT drivers. Which I installed early this morning.

I know. As I have a pro. anandtech said the new update which brought new updated drivers improved battery life. Specifically being the newly updated Marvell drivers that allowed WiFi to reach a lower power state. The update included the drivers. Which I believe was posted in this thread. As I downloaded the update then unpackaged it. Then I deleted everything but the new WiFi and BT drivers. Which I installed early this morning.

what did u do to install those drivers? i have them unzipped but cannot run any of the 4 files under the WLAN folder nor the 3 files under the BT folder. Do I need some special app to open them?

olimjj

Go to Device Manager{ Windows key + X key} pick Network Adapters and expand. Right click on Marvell and pick update Driver software. Choose Browse my computer for Driver Software. Point to you have the folder Marvell/WLAN. You can do the same with Bluetooth in Device Manager (Marvell......... Radio Adapter) this time pick the Marvell/BT folder