What's new

New Surface user....help please!

CrazyTown

So I'm new to the Microsoft Surface 3- so far it's great. It's going to take some getting used but overall I'm very happy with it.

So I have 2 questions.....

First, the mouse pad is set so that it clicks when I tap on the pad. That's a similar setting that I have on my laptop. I've figured out how to shut that option off on my laptop but can't figure out for the life of me how to shut it off on the Surface 3. (On my laptop it's a Synaptics option) Any insight would be appreciated because it's a setting I really don't like that option.

Also, I have a Linkstation NAS device on my network. With my other computers (Windows 7) it's pretty simple to find the device on my network and MAP it on my computer. With the Surface 3 it's weird...I can find the device but then I have 2 issues....
First I can't figure out how to map it to the device similarly to what I do with my laptop so it shows up in my computer and is easy to access
The other issue that's really weird is when I open it it brings me one level down into the device. In other words when I open it from my laptop I see all my main folders- My folder, my wifes folder, media etc. But when I open it from the Surface it brings me directly into the media folder and doesn't allow me to go up to even see my folder. Then, even within the Media folder there are multiple folders that I don't have on that drive. For example within the Video folder it's simply the name of the videos (ie Thanksgiving 2010) but from teh Surface there are all kinds of other folders- By name/By Date etc etc.

I would really appreciate any insight on these issues.

Thank you!!!!

Antitoon

Hi!

For the first thing, I believe there is an option in the Metro "Mouse and touchpad settings". Go to the start screen, type "mouse" and open that screen and see if you find the touchpad option you are looking for (I can't confirm).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm new to the Microsoft Surface 3- so far it's great. It's going to take some getting used but overall I'm very happy with it.

So I have 2 questions.....

First, the mouse pad is set so that it clicks when I tap on the pad. That's a similar setting that I have on my laptop. I've figured out how to shut that option off on my laptop but can't figure out for the life of me how to shut it off on the Surface 3. (On my laptop it's a Synaptics option) Any insight would be appreciated because it's a setting I really don't like that option.

Also, I have a Linkstation NAS device on my network. With my other computers (Windows 7) it's pretty simple to find the device on my network and MAP it on my computer. With the Surface 3 it's weird...I can find the device but then I have 2 issues....
First I can't figure out how to map it to the device similarly to what I do with my laptop so it shows up in my computer and is easy to access
The other issue that's really weird is when I open it it brings me one level down into the device. In other words when I open it from my laptop I see all my main folders- My folder, my wifes folder, media etc. But when I open it from the Surface it brings me directly into the media folder and doesn't allow me to go up to even see my folder. Then, even within the Media folder there are multiple folders that I don't have on that drive. For example within the Video folder it's simply the name of the videos (ie Thanksgiving 2010) but from teh Surface there are all kinds of other folders- By name/By Date etc etc.

I would really appreciate any insight on these issues.

Thank you!!!!
It sounds like all you are seeing is the DNLA Media Server from your NAS, I connect to my Home NAS using UNC Path - \\NAS_Name\Share and I typically have to enter the user name I used when I set up the NAS originally NAS_Name\User then the Password, I tell Windows to remember it and I'm to connect whenever I need too...

OP
C

CrazyTown

Hi!

For the first thing, I believe there is an option in the Metro "Mouse and touchpad settings". Go to the start screen, type "mouse" and open that screen and see if you find the touchpad option you are looking for (I can't confirm).
Yeah, unfortunately unless I'm completely missing something the option isn't there....

~X.T.~

Yeah, unfortunately unless I'm completely missing something the option isn't there....

Screenshot (4)_edited.jpg
Here you go brother!

~X.T.~

Glad you found it!
To each his own I guess, I use taps to minimize clicking noise when in quite environments (library, study areas etc.)