What's new

New to Surface and need help!

Tinch

Hi everybody!

I've bought a Microsoft Surface Book 2 – 13.5’ Display, and I'am suffering the following problem:

Battery 2 (on the keyboard) won’t charge.

The power connector works ok on the released tablet. It turns on the light and the battery on the tablet is charged ok.

When plugged in the keyboard -with or without the tablet attached- the light won’t turn on and the battery is not charging.

Already tried to reinstall Keyboard and Batteries in the Device Manager.

Any idea is welcome!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Tinch,

What Version and Build of Windows 10 are you using? (Settings, System, About, Windows Specifications)

Here are Properties for my Battery 2 (Surface Book 2 15-inch)

Annotation 2019-06-14 083141.jpg

OP
T

Tinch

Hi Sharpuser,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The driver I have installed shows version 10.0.17134.1 which is dated the same day as yours: 6/21/2006

I have tried uninstalling this version, and updating it, without making any improvements. I've also done the same with the keyboard driver.

It should be noted that the keyboard separated from the tablet, with zero battery charge, does not react and still does not charge. The light of the power source in the plug does not turn on.

I'm disoriented about the next steps. Everything seems to indicate a hardware problem even though it's a new device. If this is the case, the Surface quality is far from acceptable.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I think I understand.

You may be confused about the Surface Book.

Terms:
Keyboard = Base
Screen = Clipboard

The entire computer is in the screen. Seems impossible, but your Surface Book keyboard (base) only supplies keys and the primary battery power (Battery 1). You cannot use or charge the Base when detached. The charging port is only to charge the entire device.

You may, however , use the Clipboard by itself, and charge with the charging port, since THIS is your computer. The Clipboard battery (Battery 2) only charges under two conditions: When Battery 1 is fully charged, or when the charging port is connected. Because the Clipboard Battery 2 does not have a very large capacity, it is not intended for primary use.

The Base does not wirelessly communicate with the Clipboard.

It seems your new Surface Book is fine! Congratulations, by the way.

OP
T

Tinch

Hi sharpuser,

Thanks for your correction to my glossary. Solved the correct use of words clipboard and base the functioning problem is still there. My Surface is still far from be fine.

I'am attaching an image that perhaps could clarify the problem.

Captura.JPG

As a reminder, the clipboard is working ok and can be charged once released from the base. The problem is in the base, where battery charging is not working. In my Surface battery 2 is the battery in the base.