What's new

New to surface, from UK - Pro 3 on preorder

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to surface, but my step daughter has a Surface 2 which she seems very happy with for her college use. I've played briefly with a pro 2 in a store recently and was very impressed with the device in terms of build quality and screen.

I've read and watched and watched and read just about everything I can about the new pro 3 as I am currently the owner of an aging Dell Studio laptop, a reasonably powerful homebuilt Desktop PC and a nexus 7 tablet. The laptop is very rarely used because it used to be used as a desktop where it's size and constantly running loud fan and poor battery life wasn't so much of a problem, now when I want to use it I need portability and the size/fan noise puts me off. I'm a fan of my Nexus 7 (excellent device) but it can't do what I need to do for productivity.

I'm a photographer and I love the idea of being able to run photoshop (hopefully the new touch interface) and lightroom on a Surface pro 3, taking it away on photoshoot weekends and sitting in the bar of the hotel photo editing without all the hassle of my current rather embarrasing lump of a laptop and with the pen interface for using brushes in both LR and PS it's almost a no-brainer. I barely even looked at ultrabooks because the surface piqued my interest from the very beginning.

I preordered the i7 256 variant a few days ago and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

So that's me, I'm looking forward to taking a look around this forum and finding out what people say about their surface tablets.

malberttoo

Welcome to the forum! I've said it before- I liked my Surface Pro, but I love my SP3!

I think the highest endorsement that I can give my SP3, is that it has become my full-time portable computer. The 12" ThinkPad that it replaced, hasn't been turned on in at least 10 days. :cool:

malberttoo

My colleague is in the same boat, I feel your pain. He ordered the i7 and was quite excited when I brought my SP3 to lunch with me the other day.

What's the date that you expect yours to arrive?

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Microsoft site is saying release date 28.8.14 ....ages away :-(

Last edited:

Adam_ation

Just to add my 2cents, this week i brought back a surface pro 3 with me from my holiday to the USA. Its my first ever surface and i had an absolute blast using Lightroom to edit all my photos on the plane flight over. I'm considering installing 3ds max to see how that runs.

I flat refused to pay extra for the keyboard though, how dare they tout it as a laptop replacement when you only get half.