What's new

new to surface pro 3, update question

absresin

Got my SP3 Monday, 256 i7, went to charms typed updates in settings and did some updating, went fine. Had unit out today did the same thing but I got a pop up in middle screen saying I didn't have that app??? Finally went in through control panel and checked for updates. Any idea what happened. Really hate W8, roll on W10. Thanks for ant ideas.

kristalsoldier

never went through the charms to do updates, always did them through the control panel.

Don't see why that would make any difference really. I have been updating my SP3 via PC setting (accessed either through the Charms menu or by a PC Setting Tile).

Grooves

Do you have antivirus installed? I had installed Symantec Endpoint Protection and that completely screwed up my SP3

enthuz

Do you have antivirus installed? I had installed Symantec Endpoint Protection and that completely screwed up my SP3

I'm not sure why unless you used an older version. only the last two versions 12.1.4 and 12.1.5 work. We have 12.1.4 on all Surfaces here. I'm about to upgrade my SEPM to 12.1.5 to push out to every eligible device.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So was that a one time occurrence or does it still fail if you go through Charms? if so I would guess the link is bad.

It seems like in some cases updating causes corruption and subsequently random problems depending on what gets hosed although the same may occur with an unexpected shutdown or hang & shutdown or other scenario where settings get randomly changed. As if write caching isn't fully flushed to disk before a reboot or possibly some underlying SSD issue. I hope MS has their ears on and is investigating the cause of these random issues.

BMoreawesome

I def think that their is an issue with updating. I had two errors on updating the firmware and after updates my Pens driver were hosed. I am living with it now but I may try a refresh and may install the updates one at a time to see if it is in fact a certain update.

leeshor

There is no reason for SEP to have done anything to your system unless there was a problem with your Surfaceit when you installed it or you had some of another AV program still installed.

Grooves

I'm not sure why unless you used an older version. only the last two versions 12.1.4 and 12.1.5 work. We have 12.1.4 on all Surfaces here. I'm about to upgrade my SEPM to 12.1.5 to push out to every eligible device.
I used version 12.1.413, but had major problems with it.
We are now updating our central environment to the latest version and will try again.

enthuz

That is strange. But from my meeting with Symantec this week, 12.1.5 is supposed to have so many more fixes and changes for Win 8.1 and server 2012.

leeshor

The release notes for 12.1.4 and 12.1.5 both had bug fixes related to Windows 8.1, (and other OSs), but nothing I saw that was major.