What's new

New to windows, help with thumb drive.

Pablosrt8

hi, I'm new to Windows, I just got a surface pro 4 and I have an sd filled with my iTunes library and high res music.
So I got a mini thumb drive for more space to add video tutorials.
Mi problem is that anyone can take that thumbdrive and see what's in it because they can just put it in any other computer.
What can I do to protect that thumbdrive so that it will only work with my surface pro but if anyone tries to use it in another computer they won't be able to access the files.
Thank you for reading.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Pablosrt8 ,

It is difficult to protect your USB media. Your best protection is to treat the drive as you would its weight in gold, controlling where it is at all times. If you must, look into software similar to TrueCrypt to secure your USB drive.

OP
P

Pablosrt8

@Pablosrt8 ,

It is difficult to protect your USB media. Your best protection is to treat the drive as you would its weight in gold, controlling where it is at all times. If you must, look into software similar to TrueCrypt to secure your USB drive.
Thank you for you quick replay.
I will check into truecrypt.
What about securing one folder inside the thumbdrive? Like password protect a folder?

hi, I'm new to Windows, I just got a surface pro 4 and I have an sd filled with my iTunes library and high res music.
So I got a mini thumb drive for more space to add video tutorials.
Mi problem is that anyone can take that thumbdrive and see what's in it because they can just put it in any other computer.
What can I do to protect that thumbdrive so that it will only work with my surface pro but if anyone tries to use it in another computer they won't be able to access the files.
Thank you for reading.

BitLocker it and store your decryption key somewhere safe, but easily accessible. I put all mine in the root folder on my OneDrive.