What's new

New TV Commercials

ptrkhh

The marketing always shows the KB, the commercials always show a KB and it's marketed as a tablet that can replace your laptop. Sure it can, but that functionality actually cost extra.
I think its a normal marketing practice. If you see car commercials, theyre always shown with the optional large wheel, spoiler kit, LED lights, leather seat, and some sort of (laggy and overpriced) gizmos. None of them are included.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with their 3kg laptops who see me with my SP3 and think i'm using an inferior tablet that can't do anything.
IMO that's why Microsoft should advertise the Core i7 version, and the fact that you can get a super powerful device with Core i7 in that thin package. If you can fit Core i7, with all the required cooling system and all-day battery into 800gr, 9.1mm package, that's definitely a better advertisement material than the USB port or detachable keyboard.

So those who don't want or need the keyboard (i.e. all those who wanted to use a Logitech or Wedge Keyboard), what do say to them? Microsoft would obviously need to raise the cost to cover they keyboard cost (R&D, Manufacturing, Packaging and Logistics). The Cover is manufactured separately from the Surface Devices. Not everyone wants, needs a Type Cover.
I don't think its THAT expensive. Remember, there are keyboards with wireless connectivity and batteries for just $30, while the Type Cover is neither, yet priced $100 more expensive.

That said, I would expect Microsoft to bundle a proper cover on it. Type Cover is the jack of all trades. Its not a great keyboard, its not a great cover either. What I do expect is a proper cover, a cover that's very light, and most importantly, flat when you fold it back. Its called the Touch Cover. It might not be a great keyboard, but at least it makes a great cover with occasional typing capability. That's the kind of cover that I would leave attached on the device all the time. The Type Cover simply negates all the diet the Surface Pro 3 did in the first place. As a matter of fact, the total weight of the tablet+cover is almost identical between the Surface Pro 1/2 and 3, simply because the cover is larger, and hence, heavier

Nuspieds

That said, I would expect Microsoft to bundle a proper cover on it. Type Cover is the jack of all trades. Its not a great keyboard, its not a great cover either. What I do expect is a proper cover, a cover that's very light, and most importantly, flat when you fold it back. Its called the Touch Cover. It might not be a great keyboard, but at least it makes a great cover with occasional typing capability. That's the kind of cover that I would leave attached on the device all the time. The Type Cover simply negates all the diet the Surface Pro 3 did in the first place. As a matter of fact, the total weight of the tablet+cover is almost identical between the Surface Pro 1/2 and 3, simply because the cover is larger, and hence, heavier
The hope and expectations are--like for the iPad, Galaxy, etc.--that third party--not Microsoft--will fill the gaps.

Granted, we certainly do not have the market share or range of third-party accessories as the iPad, but I still do not expect Microsoft to fill every single gap. Microsoft provides the basics and that's what it should be; third-party should provide the rest.

I just went to the Apple site and looked at the iPad Air 2. It doesn't come with a cover, either; the standard one is $39 and the "advanced" one is $79. It doesn't come with a keyboard, either. Not everyone needs or wants a cover and/or keyboard; however, in the Apple world, there's no doubt you have a plethora of third-party accessories. This is certainly not the case for the Surface simply because it does not yet have enough market penetration; as such, you have to expect that your choices are going to be limited until it achieves that level.

During these times it makes no sense for Microsoft to play the role of various third-party vendors; with the appropriate market share, those third-party vendors should step up themselves and provide all sorts of additional and competitive accessories.

ptrkhh

I just went to the Apple site and looked at the iPad Air 2. It doesn't come with a cover, either; the standard one is $39 and the "advanced" one is $79. It doesn't come with a keyboard, either. Not everyone needs or wants a cover and/or keyboard; however, in the Apple world, there's no doubt you have a plethora of third-party accessories. This is certainly not the case for the Surface simply because it does not yet have enough market penetration; as such, you have to expect that your choices are going to be limited until it achieves that level.

During these times it makes no sense for Microsoft to play the role of various third-party vendors; with the appropriate market share, those third-party vendors should step up themselves and provide all sorts of additional and competitive accessories.
Well, to be fair, the Type Cover requires more than what 3rd party can do. the additional magnet wouldn't be possible without integrating it inside the device itself. I agree though, I expect a third-party to sell a "Just Cover" for $10 or something like that. Since I already own a BT keyboard, I think I can use the "Just Cover" as the base for my BT keyboard when I use the SP3 on my lap.

Nuspieds

Well, to be fair, the Type Cover requires more than what 3rd party can do. the additional magnet wouldn't be possible without integrating it inside the device itself.
Certainly, you do not believe that Microsoft--and only Microsoft--is capable of producing a Type Cover for the Surface. I know you don't believe that. ;)

I like my Type Cover, but I do wish there were third-party alternatives from which to choose and I am optimistic that one day I will have that choice.

I don't understand why people call these attack ads, the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads were praised. So, now that the shoe is on the other foot, they're "attack" ads? If I remember correctly, those ads pointed out issues that were user generated, these compare facts. Real world facts.

willgill

I don't understand why people call these attack ads, the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads were praised. So, now that the shoe is on the other foot, they're "attack" ads? If I remember correctly, those ads pointed out issues that were user generated, these compare facts. Real world facts.
I believe Apple fans call them an "attack ad" because they're calling their baby ugly. Let's face it, most of the Apple fanaticism is due to wanting to be included in a cool crowd. When you point out their device isn't so cool and state facts why, they get emotionally hurt.

Back off topic to the type pad, I agree with the early sentiment comparing to iPad. When iPad users find out they can't really be productive without buying a keyboard, do they get upset?

Now that Microsoft has reduced the price of the Surface Pro 3 by the same amount as the type pad, isn't it now "free"?

We are talking semantics. Would it make you feel better if Microsoft raised the price of the Surface Pro 3 by a couple hundred and included the type pad but give you a discount if you didn't want it?

And really, if you can't afford the type pad, can you really afford a Surface Pro 3?

ScottyS

Certainly, you do not believe that Microsoft--and only Microsoft--is capable of producing a Type Cover for the Surface. I know you don't believe that. ;)

I like my Type Cover, but I do wish there were third-party alternatives from which to choose and I am optimistic that one day I will have that choice.
What ever happened to "blades"?
I've seen only one (for mixing music) from MS, but weren't they supposed to be open to manufacturers to design their own controls for their software applications?

Last edited:

spinachpie

These ads are actually quite funny, to the point and get the message of the product across.

I do somewhat agree that it's being advertised as a laptop that's a tablet and competing with the MacBook, but there is no keyboard included.

raqball

Not everyone wants, needs a Type Cover.

True but the same can be said for the pen. I personally don't use it and it's still in the box.

I just believe that the typecover should be included.. I mean it is marketed as a tablet that can replace your laptop. The SP3 as sold, sans the typecover, can't really replace a laptop. Buy the typecover and bam, now it can.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
True but the same can be said for the pen. I personally don't use it and it's still in the box.

I just believe that the typecover should be included.. I mean it is marketed as a tablet that can replace your laptop. The SP3 as sold, sans the typecover, can't really replace a laptop. Buy the typecover and bam, now it can.
I know many who use the Pen more than the keyboard or have no use what so ever for the keyboard, especially the Tablet PC Faithful of old....

Look, I think the offering, as it is right now, is perfect. Keyboard is a bit pricey, but I'd hate to see it bundled. A lot of people use Bluetooth keyboards, but everybody needs a stylus. The pen is a must.