What's new

New XPS 13 (broadwell) performance compared to SP3

Kif

To be brief the new Dell XPS 13 is using the broadwell Core i5-5200U. CNET compared it to the SP3 and their conclusion was that it only slightly outperformed the SP3. I wonder if Intel had to scale back its design ambitions for broadwell because of the manufacturing issues they were experiencing. I can also see the SP4 as being more of a minor update (SP3S anyone?).

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-13-2015/2/

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding SP4: it depends on what the other components are... how that total system comes together. i.e lower power more and possibly faster memory, lower power faster SSD, better faster wireless... WiGig, Less throttling, even better power management, the total package could be a worthy upgrade. W10 runs on an SP3 as well so there's not a lot there either unless some new features rely on SP4 hardware additions like a FP reader, infrared, or holographic aura sensor :) etc.

There's a potential for a 10-20% performance improvement through reduced throttling opened up by the lower power usage of the Broadwell CPU/GPU which translates directly into less heat.

Last edited:

leeshor

Any systems is made of of more than just the processor and all the components work together.

Moving this thread to vs Others.

OP
Kif

Kif

Any systems is made of of more than just the processor and all the components work together.

Moving this thread to vs Others.

Of course, it's the overall package that counts. I might have gotten little off track with my original post. My main point is that Haswell stacks up nicely against Broadwell and our SP3's should have good longevity. Which is a good thing for a $1000+ device. :)

BearFlag

I've said this before but if MS follows the Dell XPS 13 and fits a larger screen into the same dimensions for the SP4, even if the processor upgrade is minor, I'd still buy it. Plus the Broadwell CPUs offer better battery life, so you'll get a larger screen with better battery life.

Regarding the type cover, if you notice, the bottom bezel on the Dell XPS 13 is still big, so the type cover should still fit. Just reduce the side and upper bezel. My two cents.

the dell xps 13 is a nice piece of hardware to say the least, I hope Lenovo follows suit and reduces its bezel some on the yoga line

ctitanic

The same thing happened with Atom when they were released, very good on paper no so good on real life.