What's new

Newbee question on Windows 10 Updates

I would like to STOP windows 10 from updating.

I would like to, on my schedule, check for updates, then review them, and on my command, have select updates applied.

Is this impossible?
Is this what 'Defer upgrades" is?

I need to stop the SP4 from updating things when it thinks it is cool to do it, but happens to be when I need the machine to do import office work.

My update History shows MS Visual C++ updated 4/7/2016, but the reliability report for today shows that Drawboard, Mail and Calendar updated...

I selected Defer in a hope that will stop this, but any suggestions would be appreciated, as I believe this also stop the Definitions for Virus from updating....

bluegrass

I would like to STOP windows 10 from updating.

I would like to, on my schedule, check for updates, then review them, and on my command, have select updates applied.

Is this impossible?
Is this what 'Defer upgrades" is?

I need to stop the SP4 from updating things when it thinks it is cool to do it, but happens to be when I need the machine to do import office work.

My update History shows MS Visual C++ updated 4/7/2016, but the reliability report for today shows that Drawboard, Mail and Calendar updated...

I selected Defer in a hope that will stop this, but any suggestions would be appreciated, as I believe this also stop the Definitions for Virus from updating....

I googled and found a solution that may work. I prefer to keep my computer up to date so I haven't tried the method to stop automatic updates and can't verify if it works or not.
How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
I googled and found a solution that may work. I prefer to keep my computer up to date so I haven't tried the method to stop automatic updates and can't verify if it works or not.
How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

Thank You, I wouldn't mind the download it is the installing without asking that is my issue. If my machine is stable, and at this moment I need to get a presentation done, I DO NOT want it to decide that it should install an update.

bluegrass

I would just make sure it isn't connected to the Internet, either wifi or cable. That should prevent it from trying to download so you can get your PowerPoint presentation done.

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
I would just make sure it isn't connected to the Internet, either wifi or cable. That should prevent it from trying to download so you can get your PowerPoint presentation done.

Also a good Malware Prevention to, just do not connect to the Internet and many issues go away ;)

bluegrass

You bet. The Internet can be a dangerous place to be sometimes but I've never received a virus do to a Microsoft update.