What's new

Solved Newbie help with firmware update question?

nospleen

Hello,

I am new to the Surface and Microsoft. I have been a mac user for the last 13 years, so excuse the dumb question.

My Surface Pro 3 was just purchased a few days ago. I did all of the updates when I set it up. I just reviewed the update history and noticed something interesting. It shows a successful firmware update on 12/30. (date of purchase) It then shows a failed firmware update on 1/5. I do not show a successful update of this firmware after the fail listed on 1/5. However, software update no longer finds a firmware update?

Does this mean I am good, or is there something I need to do to trigger the update again? Not sure how to check if I have the latest firmware update. (aside from checking for updates)

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a Surface TypeCover or Docking Station? If so run Windows Update with those connected.
Yes Windows Update will fetch your firmware updates too including for connected devices but they have to be connected at the time.

There could be other scenarios but wont go there...

OP
N

nospleen

I have the Type Cover. I attached and checked and it shows no updates available. I would think the one that failed would still show up until it was successful. But again, I am new to windows, so I am unsure of how it works.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you reboot after attaching your cover, and checking for updates, if your last startup was without the Type Cover.

OP
N

nospleen

Rebooted with type cover, no updates showing available. History shows an 11/18 firmware update successfully installed on 12/30, but also shows an 11/18 firmware update failing on 1/5. Not sure if it is the same update or a different one. If it is a different one, would it still show as an available update? Or, if the install fails, will it no longer show as an available update?

leeshor

Every now and then an update will show as failed for a couple reasons. It usually isn't a big deal if it doesn't appear again. Sometimes another update covered it, sometimes another update is needed before that one is applied. It's a Microsoft thing. ;)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tell you what ... The next time I receive a firmware update, I'll contact you, @nospleen, to make sure that if it applies to your equipment, you got it too. :)

Cask

Go to device manager and make sure on Firmware that you don't have any device with a yellow exclamation mark.