What's new

Newcomer on the SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow that is a serious flaw. Whats the point of the pen then T_T

To ink :) It is a major flaw, and hopefully MS fix it before too long.

Doen't bother me personally, don't think I've ever used the pens top button, never saw the need (I live life nice and slow, so I've never found a need for shortcuts like that or google now or Cortana etc)

OP
S

stijn2k6

so if im browsing the web and I want to screenshot something with my pen, How do I get the Quicknote app to my 2013 onenote?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
so if im browsing the web and I want to screenshot something with my pen, How do I get the Quicknote app to my 2013 onenote?

First, if you were to do it with the pen button, then it will send the screenshot to the MUI version. So long as you are logged in on both versions, then the note will just sync over to the desktop app (might take a minute as for some reason it syncs via the internet, and cannot just sync locally).

Alternatively you can keep the send to onenote application open. While I don't use it, it looks quite useful. Basically just click the snip button, take your snip, and then it will let you save the snip into any notebook or page you want instead of having to then go and reorganise having taken the screenshot

OP
S

stijn2k6

Hmm okay, next problem syncing the notebooks. I had multiple notebooks while testing onenote, now I wanted to delete the useless notebooks and use 1 instead. Now my app wont sync with the desktop program...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
When doing rearranging, it is best to only have one version open, do all the editing and such you need, and then manually sync it. I've had many problems where you change something in 2013, but have had the MUI version open, and then it tried to sync both ways and I ended up with a lot of mess.

I've had a number of occasions where I have had to manually initiate the sync for it to go through.

OP
S

stijn2k6

Alright. I still have a few questions hope iam not bothering u too much. Iam trying to Sync my outlook on every device I have; My HTC m8, sp 3 and desktop PC. When I'm receiving an email it won't notify me both on my phone or sp 3. It only syncs my mail as soon as I open it. This is annoying especially on my phone. I open my mail on phone , see 4 new emails, close the email app and after I already read the mails it notifys me; 4 new emails...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can offer nothing regarding outlook i'm afraid. I only used it for the first time today to check something for a different user. You already know more about it than me it seems.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright. I still have a few questions hope iam not bothering u too much. Iam trying to Sync my outlook on every device I have; My HTC m8, sp 3 and desktop PC. When I'm receiving an email it won't notify me both on my phone or sp 3. It only syncs my mail as soon as I open it. This is annoying especially on my phone. I open my mail on phone , see 4 new emails, close the email app and after I already read the mails it notifys me; 4 new emails...
Sadly that "sounds" like there's a need for a feature enhancement:)

Probably due to Desktop apps er... programs not running in the background so they would need a "Helper" app to do background stuff then suppress redundant actions after wakeup and handoff. Read that convoluted and buggy.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've just installed outlook on my M7, and then sent an email to myself. On the M7 it gave me a notification like you would expect a smart phone to do, but with outlook on the S3 there was no notifications (I changed all the send/receive intervals to two minutes but it did nothing). I had to open up outlook and then manually sync and the message popped up. still looking around to see if there is a solution (outlook is of no use to me if I have to keep it open in the background to be notified about new emails)

OP
S

stijn2k6

I've just installed outlook on my M7, and then sent an email to myself. On the M7 it gave me a notification like you would expect a smart phone to do, but with outlook on the S3 there was no notifications (I changed all the send/receive intervals to two minutes but it did nothing). I had to open up outlook and then manually sync and the message popped up. still looking around to see if there is a solution (outlook is of no use to me if I have to keep it open in the background to be notified about new emails)
I just figureded that out. Its your phone settings since it wont allow you to sync 24/7 beceause of data. I got it set to sync when on wifi. New problem tho; My agenda won't sync; I can make an appointment on my sp3 and it appears on my phone but vice versa wont work. It also says that when im making an appoint in my phone agenda he places it in my HTC sense tv agenda instead of my synced agenda...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just figureded that out. Its your phone settings since it wont allow you to sync 24/7 beceause of data. I got it set to sync when on wifi. New problem tho; My agenda won't sync; I can make an appointment on my sp3 and it appears on my phone but vice versa wont work. It also says that when im making an appoint in my phone agenda he places it in my HTC sense tv agenda instead of my synced agenda...

Ive never used that either :p

I spent half an hour playing around with outlook and on Google and from everything I came across, it seems like you simply cannot get outlook to notify you unless it is running. The workaround is that you can right click on the outlook icon in the notification tray, and select hide when minimized, which is fine, however on my S3 once I tried doing this in tablet mode evéything went to pot. Tablet mode doesn't give you the arrow to expand and see all notification tray icons... you can see where this is going if an app has been minimized to a section that you cannot access ;))