What's new

News Flash! You can try Windows 8.1 WITHOUT full wipe...

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well it says it is downloading but the little bar in Windows Store isn't moving. It's about 2.4 GB and I'm sure the servers are crushed right now so this should take quite a while.

** Update - Ok, little progress bar is a creeping a bit so it's working.

Last edited:

RSteinwand

RE: new start button.... It's a joke.

Tap it and you you're back to the start tiles page. Long press it and you can get to administrative tools, control panel, shutdown, etc.

I can't say I like it. I see Outlook is installed, but I'm not touching it until I know more about it.

tonyz3

has anyone tried the keyboard- is it improved. Until work is done for me i can not DL the preview.... I just read this about the Keyboard---Microsoft’s on screen keyboard has been vastly improved in Windows 8.1 When you type you will now see pop-up spelling suggestions, you can swipe on the space bar to go through them and tap the space bar to select the one you want. This way you do not have to move your fingers away from the on screen keyboard to pick suggestions

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mine has been downloading for over an hour now and I'm barely 1/8th done. Have it sitting right next to the wifi router so don't know the problem. I'm sure the servers are very backed up but it doesn't seem to have budged in quite a while.

How can I tell if it is stuck?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

RE: new start button.... It's a joke.

Tap it and you you're back to the start tiles page. Long press it and you can get to administrative tools, control panel, shutdown, etc.

I can't say I like it. I see Outlook is installed, but I'm not touching it until I know more about it.

Try setting your Start Page wallpaper to match your desktop. That may improve things.

mdfire

Are you sure you're on the correct page? I believe this is the correct link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download-preview

Otherwise start at http://windows.microsoft.com and follow the links to the Preview site while on your Windows 8 device. I know it worked for my Surface RT.

Yeah that was the site I went to....im on the UK language so don't know if that is an issue. Tried it again since I got home on proper wifi but still getting the same message when it starts looking on the computer for updates

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Huh, mine was stuck at about 1/4 done and said "Pending" underneath the status bar. I paused the download and restarted it so that it now says "Downloading" but showing ZERO progress. Any way I can see if data is actually flowing here?

** Huh, this is weird. For some reason my SP is only getting like 2 mbps download speeds while everything else in my house is getting 20 mbps and the SP is sitting right next to the router. Bizarre. Not just on the download but in general by wifi on the SP just went to s***.

Last edited: