What's new

Next Gen Surface Speaker

ibenzawla

I really think that next generation Surface speakers should be better than what we have right now and anything else would be a major disappointment for some. Tablets are getting better as an entertainment device with lots of apps for that purpose. Poorly placing two tiny speakers that sound weak and low on a well built tablet as the Surface was a bad idea. Hopefully they are listening and would come up with something better.

Korlon

A friend of mine physically trashed his surface pro tablet (I asked if it was frustration or accident... he wasn't too clear about it and well... I didn't press him) and so we took advantage of the dead machine and opened it up. It took over an hour to take the screen off the case and a mind boggling amount of effort removing and sorting out all the bloody screws holding the motherboard in place.. but long story short.. there really isn't a whole lot of room in there to play around with. I mean, ever square mm of space is practically covered so moving speakers into a different configuration or inserting a set of speakers with larger dimensions is pretty much impossible. Unless of course you want the tablets to become bigger/thicker than they are that is... and I don't see that happening.

One thing I was interested in checking out was if there was a possibility of inserting a second ssd.. yeah, not so much.

kristalsoldier

A friend of mine physically trashed his surface pro tablet (I asked if it was frustration or accident... he wasn't too clear about it and well... I didn't press him) and so we took advantage of the dead machine and opened it up. It took over an hour to take the screen off the case and a mind boggling amount of effort removing and sorting out all the bloody screws holding the motherboard in place.. but long story short.. there really isn't a whole lot of room in there to play around with. I mean, ever square mm of space is practically covered so moving speakers into a different configuration or inserting a set of speakers with larger dimensions is pretty much impossible. Unless of course you want the tablets to become bigger/thicker than they are that is... and I don't see that happening.

One thing I was interested in checking out was if there was a possibility of inserting a second ssd.. yeah, not so much.

Interesting. And did you see anything that would suggest that the Pro could be made a bit thinner/ lighter?

GoodBytes

The Surface Pro 1 and 2 is one crazy engineering marvel in computers. You can check out tear down pictures of the device on the web, and you can see, that device has no free space. Not even to fit another USB port.
Definitely no wasted space in there, and what's crazy is that the device deliver some serious power, cool and quiet operation, and has a better cooling solution than most larger laptops. All possible, as Microsoft is not cheaping out on anything inside.

In the case of the Surface Pro 2, they could have put single channel RAM and call it a day. But nope: dual channel. And not only DDR3, They put instead the more expensive: LPDDR3, and not 1066MHz but rather the max speed that the CPU supports: 1600MHz, with decent timings as well, same for the SSD inside. Many of the ultrabooks, I have looked at, personally (not all of them), put an SSD inside, just to say it has an SSD, but it's really the slowest SSD ever.

As for the speakers, complain how much you want, but based on my business class laptops I had before and encounter at work, the Surface Pro 2 beats almost all of them. Basically the ones that don't beat them, as 15inch or 17inh monstrosity, where they can put a larger speaker. The iPad is mono. And yet the Surface and Pro model are both stereo sound. It's only flaw is that it doesn't point at you. But if you turn them, then the resonance chamber is smaller, or none existant making the speaker sound like crap if the volume is too high or too bassy.

This is why, in the ultra high-end market of speakers, you have large speakers with a big back, or some tunneling system in the speaker. It's not just a speaker put in a wooden or plastic box.

Example:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzUnifield3.jpg

or for non traditionalists:
BW%20Nautilus2.jpg

OP
I

ibenzawla

It can be better and I'm sure Microsoft is listening. They might surprise some of you here that say it is not possible to squeeze a bit more louder speakers in the next gen Surface. On my RT a volume at about 45% sounds the same as 100% and I am not sure why. The sound is good but the volume is definitely low.

GoodBytes

It can be better and I'm sure Microsoft is listening. They might surprise some of you here that say it is not possible to squeeze a bit more louder speakers in the next gen Surface. On my RT a volume at about 45% sounds the same as 100% and I am not sure why. The sound is good but the volume is definitely low.

Yes, it could sound better. Of course. just like earphones and headphones, you have good speakers used and not. It depends on the manufacturing and engineering of them, and how much Microsoft is willing to pay.
But, it is far more difficult if you want speakers pointed at you.

Korlon

I've heard the complaints about low volume, but I have yet to push my sp2 volume beyond 15. I find the speaker volume to be quite high. I'd of course wouldn't complain about higher quality sound, I would be disappointed if MS focused on volume in the next gen.

OP
I

ibenzawla

I love my RT a lot. In fact it has almost entirely replaced my notebook and I use it everyday. But that being said my biggest complain remains the low sound volume and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I still don't have plans to replace it for now however if there is one thing I will like to see fix next time it is the volume level. But again people's preferences are different. For me if increasing the size a bit to accommodate better speakers then I won't mind. For now when I want to enjoy music or movies I hook the RT up to my portable speaker (can't name names here for fear of violating rules) via Bluetooth.

CrippsCorner

You could have just looked here
wink.png

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Teardown - iFixit

Korlon

Meh, I like taking things apart :) PLUS, I now have a spare battery and ssd drive if and when mine ever fail. I'm just not sure I'll feel up to tackling all those damned screws again.. what a nightmare.