What's new

No Display

DaveZangger

Well, my Surface Pro finally disappointed me. I went to turn it on and there is no display. If I look real close, I can see the tiles; just barely. Of course, not well enough to do anything. I checked the mini-display port and that still works... I've tried rebooting and everything else I could think of.

Is this a sign that the SP is dead?

Thank you,
dave

malberttoo

Welcome to the forum Dave!

Sounds like the display's backlight is toast. If you are getting good video from the DisplayPort outlet, then sounds like it's a display issue, and not a video card or motherboard problem.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might try Two Button Shutdown ... its a longshot ... but your covered by the warranty if it don't work.

Step 1:
Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.

Step 2:
Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:
After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

Step 4:
Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

OP
D

DaveZangger

Thank you for the responses. I too think it's the backlight. What a shame. I've tried all the button combinations and I don't get anything. I bought this back in March of 2013 and from what I read, there is only a year warranty on them. If that's the case, I doubt I'll be buying any more Surfaces' anytime soon.