What's new

Solved No "Get Windows 10" App

Nucleon

tried everything on the troubleshooting page, set updates to automatic, kept checking and restarting for updates, no new updates, and still no "get windows 10" app

The only thing I have to go by is the get windows 10 troubleshooting tool from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081048

and it gives an error saying "KB3035585 has not run"

I'm on a surface pro 3 running Windows 8.1 Pro, it says it's licensed and everything, and I've probably checked for new updates at least 4 or 5 times today, including ones for microsoft software

leeshor

Are you logged into a domain server?

If it won't work naturally I would make sure you have a working image backup before trying to force it.

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

Are you logged into a domain server?

If it won't work naturally I would make sure you have a working image backup before trying to force it.
What do you mean by the "domain server" thing?

I'm really confused as to why the thing won't show up, especially since this is on an SP3

I'll wait for your reply before I try anything hasty I guess

leeshor

What do you mean by the "domain server" thing?

I'm really confused as to why the thing won't show up, especially since this is on an SP3

I'll wait for your reply before I try anything hasty I guess
If you don't know what a domain server is you probably aren't there. It's basically a corporate version of a workgroup. That could cause a problem with the security that would/might keep you from upgrading.

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

If you don't know what a domain server is you probably aren't there. It's basically a corporate version of a workgroup. That could cause a problem with the security that would/might keep you from upgrading.
Then it's not that I guess, I'm just using my home ISP

Do you know what else it could be?

leeshor

It could be any number of things. I have one system in my office that never got a notification and the best I can tell is because it has a slightly older version of VMWare on it. I only suspect that because the Windows 8.1 compatibility check said I would need to reinstall it. It may be your anti virus software or something else in your system may be corrupted.

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

It could be any number of things. I have one system in my office that never got a notification and the best I can tell is because it has a slightly older version of VMWare on it. I only suspect that because the Windows 8.1 compatibility check said I would need to reinstall it. It may be your anti virus software or something else in your system may be corrupted.
I only use Windows Defender/MSE, thought I think that's updated along with the rest of the recommended/important updates since it came with the system, or at least I think it did...

I was talking to microsoft support earlier, they gave me a service request number so I should probably follow up telling them that what they suggested didn't work when I contacted them earlier today

anyway thanks for your reply

leeshor

Using Defender/MSE surely is not the problem. If you have a Microsoft Store nearby they will make it happen for you.

OP
Nucleon

Nucleon

I couldn't read that because during the time you replied, I actually ended up contacting support chat, me and the guy they got me spent about 1-2 hours sorting it out for me, working fine so far, yet another day saved by Microsoft's customer support!

They ended up doing pretty much what GreyFox7 had suggested, since they couldn't actually find out what was causing the W10 button not to show up on the taskbar, and I let them handle it through remote access, since they'd know exactly what they did if they made any mistakes or messed anything up.

They even ended up having to use long distance call, and then even email to contact me since the call disconnected several times, these guys have a lot of patience!

In the end, he said it was 1 or 2 updates that my PC were unable to download for some reason, and they couldn't fix the issue where my computer couldn't find the necessary updates (and it would say no new updates available), and he just did what he did. 10/10 to the guy they gave me, and his unwavering determination to get w10 on my machine.

Thanks for your concern anyway!