What's new

No More OneDrive Smart Folders

kozak79

Well, this sucks. I guess people were complaining that it was confusing having OneDrive show you all of your folders and files in Explorer even if they were not available offline, that Microsoft removed that feature. And I really miss it.

I loved having all of my photos being backed up to OneDrive and only downloading the ones I want to any of my computers. Now if I want to look at my Photo Library on my computer, I have to download the whole folder (30GB in my case) or look at them online and download the ones I want. Very disappointed about this.

leeshor

They removed the placeholders function. There is a post somewhere on how to make those available again and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps creating this as a ShortCut would allow you to open and see them when desired without the extra network load of a Permanently mapped Drive hanging on in the background.

Kris

Perhaps creating this as a ShortCut would allow you to open and see them when desired without the extra network load of a Permanently mapped Drive hanging on in the background.
I can't get this method to work properly, makes me log back in after any type of reset. It's also slow and said to be buggy. I rely on making website shortcuts. Really wish there was an easier way.

Chris Stephen

This method works but it is really slow especially for media files.

I'm contemplating on going back to Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. There are just too many things that have regressed in Windows 10 and Microsoft is not fixing things for Surface.

kristalsoldier

This method works but it is really slow especially for media files.

I'm contemplating on going back to Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. There are just too many things that have regressed in Windows 10 and Microsoft is not fixing things for Surface.

I have just reverted back to Win 8.1 on my SP3 though I continue to have Win 10 on my S3. And yes, the OneDrive issue is a problem and I am still wondering why MS did not address this and have it ready by the time Win 10 was released. In many ways, I am getting the feeling that Win 10 is still half-baked...though I notice that MS has left an exit strategy at least in terms of explaining why this is so by talking about the continual updates, which allows them to release half-baked software with a promise to fix issues on a rolling basis. I am ok with this as long as the core feature sets are in place and fully optimized - but in this version of Win 10 that is now publicly available.