What's new

Note taking abilities of the Surface RT?

rubberduk

I'm sorry guys but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to "draw" in Word like your screenshots are showing...

Help?

archapacman

There is a pen under review tab. You can right click on start inking pen or press and hold until the circle touch turns to square touch, then click pin to quick access bar. Then, you will have the pen on top as your quick access tool. Also make sure to put eraser and stop inking on quick access tool too.

archapacman

Here's my advice

[video=youtube;TlllQi085-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlllQi085-0&feature=youtu.be[/video]
8170470457_c81c439cd9_b.jpg
8170500240_1f031636a7_b.jpg

OP
P

pbankey

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on my experience with the Adonit Jot stylus. Having used it some more with Note Anytime, it DOES appear to leave some hairline marks on the screen. Hardly even noticeable, even in direct light, but just want to be honest. My recommendation is if you are planning on getting that stylus to get a screen protector for the surface and install it first.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshot (2).png

I'm also using the Adonit Jot Pro, but with OneNote 2013, and I found that wearing a glove (much like the Smudge Glove worn by artists) gives me great Palm Rejection and very fluid inking.

gcoupe

A quick question:

Does Windows RT have handwriting recognition built into it, like Windows 8 does?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it does, you can use the handwriting version of the TIP and you can have OneNote convert ink....

ClevilAndi

Hi. I am new to this forum, but I must say that I am shocked to read that note taking is not a focus of the RT. To be honest, I think that MS missed a great opportunity by not making it a selling point. Although I am not a student any more, I would have loved to use it for note taking. I was even looking forward to do so for work!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome. I don't think MS is really missing anything, they have had extensive note taking abilities baked into Windows for a long time. So for them it isn't really anything new. Now that doesn't mean they have done a good job about getting the message out, since they haven't ever, but their focus is usually on something much bigger than this feature. In this case it is far more important for them to get the message out on Windows 8 and the Surface in general than the handwriting recognition. They also have to consider keeping this a point of interest for Surface Pro which will feature a digitizer and much more accurate stylus input. I imagine we MS may put some sort of Galaxy Note marketing behind writing at that point.

Of course if you think note taking is a killer feature on the Surface, there is nothing preventing you from spreading it by word of mouth. Hopefully this forum gives us all an opportunity to talk about the features we enjoy and get the message out so that MS will continue to make Surface devices :D

Here is a good example of that very idea http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...des/2056-how-optimize-onenote-surface-rt.html