What's new

October firmware update

Roozbeh

I've deleted my post, I was worried about battery impact. It seems it takes a long time for system to park cores.
Anyway there is no uninstall method for this update.
Also I tried to see what drivers are updated, the only thing I noticed is that I had 4 devices under firmware and now I have 3. If I remember correctly there were something there related to type cover which is not removed and probably added as another device under human interface devices.

wynand32

My wifi issues seems to be fixed...no limited connectively sign which is nice. Plus my connection doesn't throttle when downloading anything. But when I turn Bluetooth is turned on...It still cuts my connection speed in half. I don't think that will ever get fixed??? Its terrible...

Huh... I have Bluetooth turned on (for the pen support), and my WiFi connection is currently sitting at 585Mbps. If that's half the speed, then I can live with it.

manoroid

Huh... I have Bluetooth turned on (for the pen support), and my WiFi connection is currently sitting at 585Mbps. If that's half the speed, then I can live with it.
this is been an ongoing thing with my last surface pro 2 as well. Its the same chip. btw I don't have a dual band router. So I think it has to do with the 2.4ghz band. I've read the 5.0 ghz has no issues

wynand32

this is been an ongoing thing with my last surface pro 2 as well. Its the same chip. btw I don't have a dual band router. So I think it has to do with the 2.4ghz band. I've read the 5.0 ghz has no issues

Okay, well, I just ran a quick check and I see what you're saying. When I connect to my router at 2.4Ghz, I get 65Mbps with Bluetooth on and 144Mbps with Bluetooth turned off. That's definitely a bummer, I see your point.

accesser

Would be nice to see a change log about this update its just come down on mine

Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: System Hardware Update - ‎6/‎10/‎2014

manoroid

This is sad its still the old Intel driver repackaged with the small WiFi fix. yup again no Intel control panel included. what's the reason for that?

OP
wditters

wditters

OEMs always stay 1 or 2 versions behind the release versions in order to complete compatibility testing and/or include product specific enhancements. This is the same for Lenovo, HP and all the others. Nothing that Microsoft is doing differently here and it makes sense. Drivers sometimes have to coexist with all kinds of drivers for exotic components (For example Marvell Avastar Wifi/Blutooth combo cards, N-Trig digitizer panels etc). Intel is not going to test all of that, but instead leaves that up to the OEMs to test.

OP
wditters

wditters

Seems that the mouse/keyboard issues with Logitech have been fixed, but Setpoint definitely seems to be one bridge too far still ...