What's new

October firmware update

Kris

One word , you guys are just too picky, can't stand these kinds of people, period.
Really? Attacking someone on a forum because they want a product that works. If you don't have something productive to add to the conversation, go somewhere else. No one needs you or anyone else saying they can't stand them, or anything else negative, because of trivial things that has nothing to do with you.

Deryl McCarty

Jeff,

Your instructions for a manual firmware install worked just fine, thanks. It only took 30 minutes or so, 20 of which was I could not find the Drive Called Surface Integration (update to v2.0.1168.0). Found it almost by accident in System Devices towards the end. Verified that 1168 was achieved and...surprise, surprise, it was. Thanks again Jeff.

Deryl

Garry9600

I was just looking at my update history and noticed that for the 2014-10-28 firmware update it says "failed to install". When I check for new updates it says everything is up to date. A few days ago, when I thought it was being installed, my sp3 went through 2 restarts and the screen said to wait while updates were being installed - with no indication at the time that they had not installed successfully.

I followed the Microsoft link above and downloaded the zip file "October2014 SP3 Download (171.4MB)". I then tried to follow the installation instructions as per Jeff Roach above (thanks, by the way). But I can't find any .ini files in in the Microsoft and Marvell Folders. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I really haven't been having any of the kinds the problems with my sp3 that I see mentioned on this forum, so perhaps I should just leave well enough alone and ignore this failed firmware update. Any thoughts?

Grumpy2

I work on the premise "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Prior to the October 28 update my Sp3 i7 256 was working great. No problems. Since the update when I wake my device from sleep it cannot detect my home wireless network. It picks up all the wireless networks in the neighbourhood but not mine. The only way for it to see my network and connect is I have to turn the Sp3 off for around 30 seconds, switch it back on and voile it sees and connects to my home network. I did not have this problem before the update. I sometimes wonder if the software people at Microsoft know what they are doing. The put out updates to solve a problem and then create another. I really think that the Microsoft software people need to lift their game. This continual need to put out software patches does not do their image any good.

RémiM

@Grumpy2 in my case, exactly the contrary happened. Since the update, the wifi is much better. Way much better.

This sounds crazy to me. Some updates work and some other don't. Isn't it supposed to be the same piece of code inside ?

Grumpy2

@Grumpy2 in my case, exactly the contrary happened. Since the update, the wifi is much better. Way much better.

This sounds crazy to me. Some updates work and some other don't. Isn't it supposed to be the same piece of code inside ?
Unfortunately with any product that is mass produced, no two items are exactly the same. It does not matter what the product is. Cars, refrigerators tv's etc. no two are the same. My Sp3 is great despite this latest problem but I just wish the people at Microsoft would lift their game and work ethic and put out software that works instead of putting out continual patches. Surely it can not be that hard. It just needs an attitude change on the part of the Microsoft employees.

olimjj

Unfortunately with any product that is mass produced, no two items are exactly the same. It does not matter what the product is. Cars, refrigerators tv's etc. no two are the same. My Sp3 is great despite this latest problem but I just wish the people at Microsoft would lift their game and work ethic and put out software that works instead of putting out continual patches. Surely it can not be that hard. It just needs an attitude change on the part of the Microsoft employees.

That would probably be more achievable, in a more controlled and restrictive environment, ala Apple. But I do agree that they can and should improve their initial efforts.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was just looking at my update history and noticed that for the 2014-10-28 firmware update it says "failed to install". When I check for new updates it says everything is up to date. A few days ago, when I thought it was being installed, my sp3 went through 2 restarts and the screen said to wait while updates were being installed - with no indication at the time that they had not installed successfully.

I followed the Microsoft link above and downloaded the zip file "October2014 SP3 Download (171.4MB)". I then tried to follow the installation instructions as per Jeff Roach above (thanks, by the way). But I can't find any .ini files in in the Microsoft and Marvell Folders. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I really haven't been having any of the kinds the problems with my sp3 that I see mentioned on this forum, so perhaps I should just leave well enough alone and ignore this failed firmware update. Any thoughts?
You're looking for the ".inf" files not ".ini", they will be the ones that look like a text file with a gear in front of them...

upload_2014-11-1_17-8-29.png

dleuen

That would probably be more achievable, in a more controlled and restrictive environment, ala Apple. But I do agree that they can and should improve their initial efforts.

Wait a second this is as controlled as it can get. SP3 and Windows, are you kidding me. What's even more surprising is I think people are having issues with some of the most common routers too, at least that's true in my case. So I've got Microsoft hardware and Microsoft software and a very common Centurylink modem. Tell me someone at Microsoft can't set up that configuration for testing bug fixes? It's just sloppy development and shoddy software testing, along with rushed schedules. That's a management problem inside Microsoft.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wait a second this is as controlled as it can get. SP3 and Windows, are you kidding me. What's even more surprising is I think people are having issues with some of the most common routers too, at least that's true in my case. So I've got Microsoft hardware and Microsoft software and a very common Centurylink modem. Tell me someone at Microsoft can't set up that configuration for testing bug fixes? It's just sloppy development and shoddy software testing, along with rushed schedules. That's a management problem inside Microsoft.
CenturyLink is only common from parts of the Deserts Southwest, High Plains and Northwest of the US....and then there are many combinations of equipment even within that ecosystem.

map2.gif

lemongalaxy

My Surface had no problems at all until the last update. Now I get limited connection to my home 5GHz WiFi on resuming from hibernation. Only a reboot seems to fix it.