What's new

October firmware update

Kayvin M

^^Same here. Everything was working perfectly until the last update. 5Ghz is totally useless now although 2.4Ghz seems to be working fine. I have tried everything short of a refresh and nothing helped. I really hope Microsoft fixes this soon.

PilotGav

I'm on Win 10 and the update hasn't shown up in Windows Update. Why would it have a win 10 update included if its not being pushed out to Win 10?

ScottyS

OMG How many times you paired it...I really wish I could mail you a couple of that batteries since I got 6 extra...
Got new batteries and the pen's green light now works so I did burn out a set of batteries just trying to re-pair so many times.

But, alas, it still won't stay paired. In fact if I try it with the PC Settings/PC and Devices/Bluetooth screen on it shows it as "paired" and when I click the pen button the "paired" changes to "not connected". I have to click Remove and then the pen button to burn those new batteries out again.

I'm beginning to think the only update that will fix these BT and WiFi connectivity problems will be the upgrade to SP4.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Got new batteries and the pen's green light now works so I did burn out a set of batteries just trying to re-pair so many times.

But, alas, it still won't stay paired. In fact if I try it with the PC Settings/PC and Devices/Bluetooth screen on it shows it as "paired" and when I click the pen button the "paired" changes to "not connected". I have to click Remove and then the pen button to burn those new batteries out again.

I'm beginning to think the only update that will fix these BT and WiFi connectivity problems will be the upgrade to SP4.
The "Not Connected" is the default Status, it only connects on "Click" and only long enough to launch OneNote or Screen Clipping, after that it returns to "Not Connected", that is by design to preserve the battery in the Pen.

ScottyS

The "Not Connected" is the default Status, it only connects on "Click" and only long enough to launch OneNote or Screen Clipping, after that it returns to "Not Connected", that is by design to preserve the battery in the Pen.
Well my default status has been "Not Working" for two SP3s and 3 pens.

ScottyS

The top button. I pair it. It might work once opening OneNote, it might not. Even if it works once it stops working after and never works to wake it from sleep. The MS store replaced the pen and the new one had same problem. Then they replaced the SP3. Both have the same WiFi limited connectivity problem (at some places at work) and pen top problem.

But the bottom line is the WiFi works fine at home (may have to reboot after coming home from work with it in standby) and in some places at work and the pen writes fine so neither problem keeps me from loving the SP3. It's thinness and weight and screen resolution along with core i7 and 8GB RAM make me glad I got it to replace my core i5 4GB SP1, even with these problems. I just wish the pen button opened OneNote from sleep, as advertised, because I use OneNote at work as a white board to jot down diagrams and graphs for teaching.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The top button. I pair it. It might work once opening OneNote, it might not. Even if it works once it stops working after and never works to wake it from sleep. The MS store replaced the pen and the new one had same problem. Then they replaced the SP3. Both have the same WiFi limited connectivity problem (at some places at work) and pen top problem.

But the bottom line is the WiFi works fine at home (may have to reboot after coming home from work with it in standby) and in some places at work and the pen writes fine so neither problem keeps me from loving the SP3. It's thinness and weight and screen resolution along with core i7 and 8GB RAM make me glad I got it to replace my core i5 4GB SP1, even with these problems. I just wish the pen button opened OneNote from sleep, as advertised, because I use OneNote at work as a white board to jot down diagrams and graphs for teaching.
What APs are you using at work? As far as the pen, are you using OneNote Desktop or MUI?

ScottyS

I don't know what APs means, I'm not in IT. It's a hospital WLAN covering 6 buildings over a several acre campus. I connect in some locations but other locations it says "Limited Connectivity" and I have no Internet or network access although it identifies the network and says I'm connected. Our head of IT is a big Surface fan (he first showed me Win8 on his Surface1 and now uses S2 and has bought S1s for all our admitting clerks and 10 SP3 for another dept.) and he's tried to figure it out, had me try a USB WiFi receiver, had me install certificates from MS, set me as a fixed IP user on the network so I'd always connect (or something like that I really don't understand) and nothing has worked.

The pen won't work for both desktop and MUI OneNote.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like either it is missing the OneNote Update that allows for the Pen to activate or another piece of software is blocking it, like an over aggressive security suite. Children's Hospital in Seattle have 100s of SP3 deployed without issue.

ScottyS

I have the OneNote update installed and am running no security or AV software except Windows Defender.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of additional questions, are there any events related to the Pen in the Application or System Event Logs? Do you have any Specialty or Legacy Software installed or additional Bluetooth Devices that installs software as part of the Driver (i.e. Logitech Suite?).

Have you done a reset?