What's new

Official I ordered a Surface Book

controlchap

Welcome to the forum and congrats! :D

I've experienced that on other sites for other products and it is so frustrating because finally you get the process started and you think you are in the process of placing and then completing your order, but then you are told that the item is not available! Arrrgggghhh!!! :mad:

I'm sure times have changed since the release of the original SP, but I can tell you that I was amongst those waiting at Best Buy and that experience was a nightmare! I ended up visiting several Best Buys but eventually it was all to no avail and ended up placing the order at the MS Online Store.

On October 6th and 7th, I read enough reviews and comments such that I had enough information and was confident in placing my pre-order for the SB. Based on what I read, I knew that there would be sold-out issues, so I made sure I got my pre-order in fast and early. :D

I had not expected the most expensive SB to sell out first. I had been to Best Buy on Oct 7 & 12 to try and see one in person, but they only had the SP4 demo unit. But at least I finally got lucky online. Now it's only a brief wait.

nogridbag

I just ordered the 512GB/16GB with a shipping time of 7-8 weeks :( Going to cancel my previous order... even though it would have been here on the 26th :(

nogridbag

Called support to cancel my initial order. I asked about the shipping date of the new order and it was a little difficult to understand her response. The lady said "it's no problem. You will not receive the surface book on the release date. On the release date you will receiving a tracking number and it will take 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS". What the heck... I was waiting for her to say 5-7 weeks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Called support to cancel my initial order. I asked about the shipping date of the new order and it was a little difficult to understand her response. The lady said "it's no problem. You will not receive the surface book on the release date. On the release date you will receiving a tracking number and it will take 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS". What the heck... I was waiting for her to say 5-7 weeks.
I'm just guessing but I think they use a specially built 8Ball type device for answering these questions. They shake it and it gives them a random nonsense answer. The media is all over the place on this as well... just read an article that said the 1TB Surface Books would ship the end of January.

bamaster

Just ordered a i7/512/16 Surface Book on pre-order with a ship date of 5-6 weeks.

It's going to replace my XPS13 (2015). I like it but I really want discrete graphics and 16 GB RAM. I considered the new Dell XPS15, but it's 1 lb heavier than the SB and lacks stylus.

I have a SP3 so there's no real reason to get a SP4. Not much of an improvement to me, the SP3 is already pretty awesome. I like the idea that the SB can use the same power supplies as my SP3.

I have an email from my alma mater so I was able o get 10% off the purchase (basically pays for tax).

My credit card was charged today. But my online order status is still "In Process". Hrmm...

cpap

My credit card was charged today. But my online order status is still "In Process". Hrmm...

MS made an attempt on my card this am but was denied... AMEX thought it was fraud. I have it cleared up with AMEX but now worried MS will cancel. I spoke with an MS rep but they told me I won't see a charge until product is shipped. Anyone else with an experience like this? I wish they could just charge it while I'm on the phone with them.

MrRedHat

Same here. My credit card was charged too. The credit card company detected a fraud charge too and sent me an e-mail to confirm. I see a charge pending on the CC, so hopefully they didn’t decline it.

Nuspieds

Charged here was well and I also received the shipment notification with tracking number email.

The tracking number is still brand new, so no details yet available from the UPS site.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The card processing outfit (I assume this is outsourced) is likely doing a trial run with small balances which subsequently get removed to validate cards ahead of time. It's not all that uncommon a practice, most of the time it's not noticed. The thing is ... they way they do it triggers some card issuers fraud alerts... or maybe it who's doing it IDK. On a previous purchase I had to switch my card because it wouldn't go through on the other one even after I told them what it was.

Seems a little early for shipping unless you're in a far remote place and part of the route uses horse drawn Stage Coaches as the carrier. :)

cpap

Same here. My credit card was charged too. The credit card company detected a fraud charge too and sent me an e-mail to confirm. I see a charge pending on the CC, so hopefully they didn’t decline it.

I received an email from MS to update my payment method. I clicked on the "sign in" in the email and it took me directly to the payment info center. From there, you can update the card and execute the transaction. My card was changed immediately after. Good to go ... it seems. Now heres hoping for a tracking number!

Good luck.