What's new

Okay I need some serious help with internet connectivity...

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Right I'm 80% sure it's bluetooth related. I ran Speedtest.net and got 1.87Mb/s (for some reason the maximum I get can atm on any device) and was using the internet okay... but then it started playing up and ground to a halt again.

I decided to turn my Logitech bluetooth audio receiver off and use the jack instead... with this set up I managed to use the internet for 2 hours without issue! So, atm, although not ideal I'm thinking of tethering to my iPhone until my data runs out, and then simply use the jack or play CD's lol.

It's not ideal but there you go. It's disappointing this is happening though, does anyone know if this is a software glitch Microsoft might fix in the future or if it's hardware related? Because I've heard about bluetooth/Wi-Fi issues with them being on the same chip or something.

I'm still going to give my provider a call though because a few months ago I was consistently getting speeds of 6-7Mb/s which is over three times what I can currently get. Something's still amiss!

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Yeah I was kinda hoping that would happen... but yeah anyway, gave them a call last night. Turns out my job hadn't been 'signed off' (despite them telling me on two separate occasions that it had been) so now I need to call them yet again in 48 hours, and then they will 'reset' my line, whatever that means. Hopefully I'll be seeing decent speeds again but of course it won't change anything related to the bluetooth issues. Only thing I can hope is that the throttling is only slight and I'll still be able to browse okay with both devices turned on.

Arizona Willie

kayzee, I have been having problems with slow speed also. Strangely, my Surface Pro was getting 10 Mbps via wireless connection while the desktop, which has an ethernet connection to the router, was only getting 7 Mbps.

Long story short, I did a factory reset on the router ( not just unplugging it and plugging it back in ) and reconfigured the wireless network and now my desktop is getting 33 Mbps and the Surface Pro and laptop are getting 22 - 25 Mbps.

My Linksys E2000 router has been in service for 3 years, mostly running 24 hours a day.
It has ran under Windows 7 then through the upgrade to Windows 8 and then to Windows 8.1.
I don't know if having been operational through all those upgrades and updates bumfuzzled the router somehow ... but the Factory Reset did the trick.
Check with the company that made your router for instructions on doing a Factory Reset.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

That's a great increase! I actually did look into doing a factory restore on it but when I try, the router needs to connect to a webpage for some reason, and it says it's unable to do so... not quite sure what's going on there. The reason why I don't think that'll help me massively is because my general throttled speed it occurring on every device I own. Anyway it's been almost 48 hours now so will give them call #4 when I get home from work!

Krooked

It looks like more than a few are blaming the router (and rightly so for the majority of wireless problems).

In order to quickly remove the router as a suspect, simple find another wireless network to test your SP on. If your problem remains, it's either a settings or hardware issue on the SP. If the problem goes away...

Every WiFi issue I've ever had has been due to a faulty router or faulty settings on the router.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

The most likely reason you can't access that page is because you are inputting the wrong username or password.

With my Linksys in order to do a Factory Reset you hold down the reset button for 30 seconds and then, while still holding down the reset button, you unplug it for 30 seconds and then, while STILL holding down the reset button, you plug it back in and wait 30 seconds before releasing the reset button.

That removes ALL your configuration and you get to enter a new username and password and start over like it just came out of the box.
The procedure for YOUR router will probably be different, unless it is a Cisco / Linksys, but I would check with the manufacturer first to be sure what it is.
They probably have the procedure outlined on their trouble pages on the web site somewhere, that's where I found it.
You could also just google " factory reset for XXX router " and I'd bet it will come up.

Of course it is effecting every device you have, your game systems and laptops and everything most likely ALL access the internet through that router and if it is messed up, naturally that effects everything.
===========

That's a great increase! I actually did look into doing a factory restore on it but when I try, the router needs to connect to a webpage for some reason, and it says it's unable to do so... not quite sure what's going on there. The reason why I don't think that'll help me massively is because my general throttled speed it occurring on every device I own. Anyway it's been almost 48 hours now so will give them call #4 when I get home from work!

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Okay so I've had a bit of a result. I received a call from a manager at EE telling me my line has been fixed, and it is indeed back to about 90% of its original speed, which is acceptable imo. But he said the only thing holding you back now, is your old router, as it can only handle speeds up to 8Mb/s... so he's sending me out a brand new model :) which he said should see me getting between 12-15Mb/s. Not bad considering I don't even pay for my connection!

Anyway, just to illustrate the poor bluetooth/Wi-Fi aspect, I made a pretty poor video to show what happens. I start the test with bluetooth off, and after I switch it on, the speed constantly decreases until it hits 0.01Mb/s and ceases to work completely. You can see the big drop on the graph below the numbers...

[video=youtube;0TpLQtcdlsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpLQtcdlsQ[/video]