What's new

On-Screen Keyboard Alternative?

ChrisPanzer

Are there any on-screen keyboard 3rd party apps out there that are any good? I know about the full sized MS OSK, as well as the default ones (default, split, partial full sized, and writing pad)

I still tend to make a lot of mistakes whilst typing in the field in tablet-only mode.

Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There's the HVK (Hot Virtual Keyboard), and BeKey programs. I tried them both for fun with Windows 8.1. They're OK.

allkeyboards.jpg

bekey-de-titan.gif

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

ThanksDoug, will give it a shot man.

For some reason the full-full super deluxe sized (lol there's two of them apparently) keyboard acts really quirky with my program called Xactimate (insurance prop damage estimating program). In certain instances it doesn't register when I press a key, only working when the key is pressed a second time. Dont really wanna learn that curve there!!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
ThanksDoug, will give it a shot man.

For some reason the full-full super deluxe sized (lol there's two of them apparently) keyboard acts really quirky with my program called Xactimate (insurance prop damage estimating program). In certain instances it doesn't register when I press a key, only working when the key is pressed a second time. Dont really wanna learn that curve there!!

It sounds like Xactimate has been patching together some keyboard interfaces for some time, so that it would function on emerging tablet hardware out in the field, until the proper APIs become available (such as Windows 8.1). In other words, keyboard input is being relayed 2nd hand to the application. I would think that will be fixed soon.

Hope software like these keyboards helps you in the interim.

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (90).png

Screenshot (91).png

Last edited:
OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Wow, just nabbed HotArseKeyboard and WOW is there a boatload of options!!! Thanks Doug.

I think I am going to start a thread "Post Your Most Useful Daily Utility Apps" Methinks that's gonna yield some serious stuff!

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Yep, I see it, it's right down there! (oops, sorry that didn't sound too good! lol) but I really like the ol' swipe! (makes me look cool in front of clients when Im swiping all over the screen!)

=)

I see a 'Gestures' option in the settings, but there aren't that many toggles... ho-hum..

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

If I knew the shortcut key that actually brings up the HotKeyboard I could assign a TouchMe Gesture to it...