What's new

On Screen Keyboard - Disaster?

Hey guys, I am having trouble getting the on screen keyboard to work. I do indeed have the new Windows 10.

Using Microsoft Edge, when I touch the browser address in order to type, the keyboard does not show up. It sometimes did this in Windows 8.1 before but back then, although it was still a little annoying, I had the luxury of touching the keyboard icon in the lower right corner. Windows 10 does not have such a feature so I am just stuck repeatedly tapping at the search bar until I give up.

Ok. So Edge doesn't bring up the keyboard. Maybe Chrome will be different?

Using Google Chrome, when I touch the address bar, nothing happens. This is similar to what happens with the edge (the keyboard does not show up). However, this time the url at the address bar doesnt even get highlighted. It just doesnt respond to my touch in general. In Edge, I can still touch bookmarks etc and it will still work. In Chrome, nothing responds to my touch, not the bookmarks, settings, nor any object on the page. The only thing that responds is the 3 classic icons in the top right corner: minimize, window, exit.

So pretty much, without my detachable keyboard, I cannot type at all.

Wallzii

You should be able to right-click the taskbar and select the option "Show touch keyboard button" to enable the keyboard icon at the bottom-right of the taskbar.

OP
M

Modification

You should be able to right-click the taskbar and select the option "Show touch keyboard button" to enable the keyboard icon at the bottom-right of the taskbar.

Ah that is much better. However it is still strange how it doesnt come up automatically when it should. My smart phones have never had a problem with this.

That said, Google Chrome is absolutely useless since it will only respond to a mouse, not touch. I assume it is a Windows 10 problem but I am unsure.

It pops up if you have it in tablet mode

Actually I tried in both normal and tablet mode. The keyboard still does not show up regardless of what mode you are in.

Wallzii

The on-screen keyboard also works for me when I tap a text box while in tablet mode, whether I'm using Edge or Chrome. Are you sure that you have tablet mode enabled? Go into the action center (swipe in from the right bezel) and enable tablet mode, then try and see if the on-screen keyboard is displayed when you tap a text box.

If that works, then we can proceed to setting tablet mode to enable itself by default when you detatch the keyboard.

OP
M

Modification

The on-screen keyboard also works for me when I tap a text box while in tablet mode, whether I'm using Edge or Chrome. Are you sure that you have tablet mode enabled? Go into the action center (swipe in from the right bezel) and enable tablet mode, then try and see if the on-screen keyboard is displayed when you tap a text box.

If that works, then we can proceed to setting tablet mode to enable itself by default when you detatch the keyboard.

Yep it is most definitely in tablet mode. Strange how you don't have a problem with it and I do...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that there was not a keyboard icon on the taskbar indicates that you are indeed running in tablet mode

The fact that touch is not working in chrome suggests that there is a much bigger problem with your device than simply the keyboard not showing. might want to try doing a refresh or such.

OP
M

Modification

The fact that there was not a keyboard icon on the taskbar indicates that you are indeed running in tablet mode

The fact that touch is not working in chrome suggests that there is a much bigger problem with your device than simply the keyboard not showing. might want to try doing a refresh or such.

Actually, you can have the keyboard icon on the taskbar for tablet mode. You just have to turn it on.

It seems like people are not having any problems with this so I will have to probably contact a microsoft representative.

Edit: it seems to be working now. The keyboard pops up and the chrome issue is gone. Strange since i made no changes. Hope this wont be intermittent...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, you can have the keyboard icon on the taskbar for tablet mode. You just have to turn it on.

It seems like people are not having any problems with this so I will have to probably contact a microsoft representative.

My point was that unless you change things (and if you did then you'd know which mode you were in) by default desktop mode has the keyboard button and tablet doesn't. as such this was a clear indication to me that you were in tablet mode (just clarifying for those who were questioning whether you were actually in tablet mode).

OP
M

Modification

All problems from before are back. Keyboard does not come up. Chrome is not responding to touch. Seems like this problem occurs at complete random with no changes made. Unfortunate indeed.