What's new

On screen volume control surface book

stevenB

After waking from sleep or just after docking to my surface dock, the on screen volume control is stuck in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I am not able to X out of the box, or adjust the volume.
Same is true if i go to the volume control in the task bar. The lower control says Speakers (surface dock), the slider is set all the way to the left, if i try to move the slider, it pops back to the left.
how can i fix, or at least is there a service or process i can restart.
thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you have no audio devices connected to your Surface Dock, and the problem only appears when your Surface Book is docked, the symptoms suggest that you have a bad connection. Check your blade connector for moisture, grease, or debris. A very light pressure with a pencil eraser may do the trick.

Let us know of your progress, @stevenB . We will take the next steps if necessary.

OP
S

stevenB

Hi thanks for the response, I should have included that i do have speakers attached to my dock, and that this is is the new surface dock that looks like a small brick.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

1. Unplug those speakers, and power down both the dock and the Surface Book.
2. Power on the dock, and boot up the Surface Book.
3. "Dock" the Surface Book.
4. Connect your speakers.

What happens?

OP
S

stevenB

thanks for the reply,
after following the steps you outlined, initially after reconnecting the surface dock the control was back, then after about 10 to 15 seconds the control went away and is now normal.