What's new

One Drive Default PDF Reader Question

Every time I try to open a document (when right clicking the document and clicking "Open With") on OneDrive, there is this check mark that says "Use this app for all .PDF files". How do I make it so it doesn't ask me every time? I would like the default app to always be the same (stock) but sometimes I need to use another app. In order to use this new app, I always have to uncheck that box because I don't want it to be my default.

ScottyS

Every time I try to open a document (when right clicking the document and clicking "Open With") on OneDrive, there is this check mark that says "Use this app for all .PDF files". How do I make it so it doesn't ask me every time? I would like the default app to always be the same (stock) but sometimes I need to use another app. In order to use this new app, I always have to uncheck that box because I don't want it to be my default.
Left click, or tap.
I assume you're talking about the MUI version of OneDrive. Left click or tapping it will open it in the default app. Right clicking just selects that file, clicking Open With... gives you the option to open with another app or to change the default (left click) behavior.
Do you have other apps that can open .PDF files? If not you'd only be getting one option and maybe that's what's confusing you.
upload_2014-11-28_1-57-4.png

Adobe Reader is the desktop version, Adobe Reader Touch is the MUI version.

OP
M

Modification

Yeah I am talking about the MUI version. But I don't like having to unchecked that box everytime I use an app that is different than my default one. My question is, can I just permanently say that I want the reader to be my default and for it to stop asking me in the future? Kind of like browsers. Is there a "do not ask me again" option?

Liam2349

Yeah I am talking about the MUI version. But I don't like having to unchecked that box everytime I use an app that is different than my default one. My question is, can I just permanently say that I want the reader to be my default and for it to stop asking me in the future? Kind of like browsers. Is there a "do not ask me again" option?

Go to open with, and select your default app. Now when you left click, it opens with that app.

If you want to use another app, go to open with, and un-tick the box. Hopefully the box will then stay un-ticked, and each time you want to open with another app, you can just open with and click the app.

OP
M

Modification

Go to open with, and select your default app. Now when you left click, it opens with that app.

If you want to use another app, go to open with, and un-tick the box. Hopefully the box will then stay un-ticked, and each time you want to open with another app, you can just open with and click the app.

But that's the problem. Every time I want to open with another app the box stays checked. I have to untick it each time.

ScottyS

I see what you mean. The box "Use this app for all .pdf files" is pre-checked. So you have to un-check it each time you want to open the file in another app without changing it to the default. This is a poorly thought out "feature" MS should change.

Some files (like pdf and image and video files) are often opened in different apps and I can see if you use MUI it is a problem. On the desktop right clicking and picking Open with... doesn't change the default behavior.

OP
M

Modification

Then I would say that's just how it is unfortunately. I agree, it's not ideal - perhaps use Explorer instead.

Yeah I do not think I can change this. It doesn't sound like the biggest problem in the world but it can get very tedious.

I see what you mean. The box "Use this app for all .pdf files" is pre-checked. So you have to un-check it each time you want to open the file in another app without changing it to the default. This is a poorly thought out "feature" MS should change.

Some files (like pdf and image and video files) are often opened in different apps and I can see if you use MUI it is a problem. On the desktop right clicking and picking Open with... doesn't change the default behavior.

Yup. Hopefully they can change this but I doubt this is on the top of their list nor is it anywhere near it. I might just use the desktop version but the MUI is so smooth and it looks fantastic!