What's new

One Drive taking up local storage space

limache

Hi I've been googling around and trying to figure out how to get one drive to stop taking up my surface's storage space. That literally makes no sense to me that One Drive (a CLOUD service) would take up all the space on my surface! I only have the 128 gb config so not a lot of space to work with. I saw that you get 1 TB of One Drive but what's the point of One Drive if it keeps taking up space on my surface?

Is there a workaround? How are you supposed to use One Drive without taking up local disk space?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

OneDrive works the same as Google Drive, DropBox and any number of other programs, they all sync what you have in your PC with the cloud. The point is to keep those files safely accessible from anywhere you can log into that account. With that said I think I know someone here with the instructions to at least redirect those files to an SD card. Hope they drop by.

OP
L

limache

Welcome to the forum

OneDrive works the same as Google Drive, DropBox and any number of other programs, they all sync what you have in your PC with the cloud. The point is to keep those files safely accessible from anywhere you can log into that account. With that said I think I know someone here with the instructions to at least redirect those files to an SD card. Hope they drop by.

Right now I'm thinking the only solution is to unlink One Drive with the Surface and just upload everything onto the web version of One Drive. What do you think? It kind of defeats the purpose of cloud storage if I have to save everything locally, esp given the disparity in size (128 local vs 1 TB cloud).

I've only had this for about two or three weeks and when I checked my storage, I couldn't believe it filled up to almost full until I realize it was One Drive's fault.

The SD card might be a good idea for now. I only have a 64 GB microsd but it's not bad. Is there a guide out there for redirecting one drive to SD?

leeshor

You could do that, unlink, but I was trying to point out that it doesn't defeat the purpose, it IS the purpose for people using multiple systems. It's working as intended.

dcoplien

Welcome to the forum

You can find the directions here. Make sure and follow the thread as an update changed the "how to"
How to change location of OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Philtastic

I'm confused. How does OneDrive use up hard drive space on my SP4?
By default, any folders that you select to sync will take your online OneDrive folders and make local folders that store copies of your online files. This allows you to access your online files while offline and to upload files by simply adding them to your local OneDrive folders.

DavidZ

By default, any folders that you select to sync will take your online OneDrive folders and make local folders that store copies of your online files. This allows you to access your online files while offline and to upload files by simply adding them to your local OneDrive folders.

I still don't get it.

I thought that OneDrive make an extra copy of your local files in the cloud. How does a cloud copy of your local files take up space on your local hard drive?

Compusmurf

With the release of Win 10, Microsoft totally changed the way Onedrive works Now you selectively sync what you want to see from onedrive to your pc and you cannot access cloud only copies. This is different than 8.x where you could see everything and selectively sync what you wanted on your pc.

That being said, MS is working on an update that may just be similar to the way 8.1 worked.

Current version of the sync makes onedrive nearly worthless on the surface pro series if you have lots of data stored. I have mine turned off for now.

I wouldn't say worthless, for some....like me....its amazing. Working on my desktop, knowing that I have all my active project files at my disposal on my sp4, especially when travelling and I don't have an internet connection is tremendous. And even when not travelling, when at home I can work on a file and know that automatically, its updated on my desktop when I get back in the office. I truly think this is how it should work, but obviously different strokes.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I selectively sync the files I need to have local for both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business, but I also use these as my default locations (I don't use the Documents folder).

Works well for my needs, Placeholders caused issues for some users (key enterprise accounts).