What's new

one note 2013 audio recording

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought this device specifically for university. The ability to record a lecturer while making notes seemed a great capability.

Here is my issue though. I just sat a foot or two from the device and tried a sample recording, and the audio quality, well I could not describe it without cursing like a sailor. It is utterly appalling. I could never use it to record a lecturer.

Is it this awful for everyone, or just me? For reference, audio via vibe etc is apparently flawless, however playing back my recording of my voice from OneNote is utterly unacceptable.

malberttoo

I bought this device specifically for university. The ability to record a lecturer while making notes seemed a great capability.

Here is my issue though. I just sat a foot or two from the device and tried a sample recording, and the audio quality, well I could not describe it without cursing like a sailor. It is utterly appalling. I could never use it to record a lecturer.

Is it this awful for everyone, or just me? For reference, audio via vibe etc is apparently flawless, however playing back my recording of my voice from OneNote is utterly unacceptable.

The built-in mic was not designed for the kind of recording you're talking about. There are several USB mics mentioned in this forum, by folks that are doing exactly what you want to do, and have excellent results.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The built-in mic was not designed for the kind of recording you're talking about. There are several USB mics mentioned in this forum, by folks that are doing exactly what you want to do, and have excellent results.
This is nothing to do with the Mic though. It has to be software surely. If I sit in front of my device and run viber or Skype, it is perfectly clear. If I do the exact same thing but have OneNote record it, it's unrecognizable. This is not me recording myself from the other side of a lecture hall, this is me sat a foot from the device talking clearly at the microphone with zero background noise.

malberttoo

This is nothing to do with the Mic though. It has to be software surely. If I sit in front of my device and run viber or Skype, it is perfectly clear. If I do the exact same thing but have OneNote record it, it's unrecognizable. This is not me recording myself from the other side of a lecture hall, this is me sat a foot from the device talking clearly at the microphone with zero background noise.

Ok I got you now.

Search the threads, maybe for "mic", seems someone pointed out in a spot in OneNote where you can change the audio settings, can't remember exactly what the context of the conversation was.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. The former link sorted me out. Seems most odd that by default it's set to an unusable quality level. Sorted now.