What's new

one note on SP3

Keith Clements

Hi,
I'm keen to start making use of the onenote for meetings.
I don't see the ribbon when in onenote? how do I activate this?

thanks in advance

Len J

If its the desktop version, tap the top grey section and it will drop down.... if you want to lock it down, hit the icon on the lower right corner of the drop down ribbon

Len

Liam2349

preference would be to use the onenote in the tablet format.
I'm not IT savy , what is UI?

UI stands for User Interface. The Modern UI, MUI, or Metro is the interface with the tiles. The tablet version of OneNote runs in the MUI.

You don't get a ribbon for MUI OneNote, you use the radial menus. The full desktop version has more features but is a little less touch friendly.

InspectHerGadget

I like the modern OneNote application as it is made from the ground up for use with touch. The problem is Microsoft doesn't want to make it too good as it is included free. It is good enough for what I use it for which is making notes while out on jobs so effectively each page is a job card. You can't convert handwriting to text and you don't have the same array of pens and colours and widths you get on the desktop version (which you have to pay for).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I like the modern OneNote application as it is made from the ground up for use with touch. The problem is Microsoft doesn't want to make it too good as it is included free. It is good enough for what I use it for which is making notes while out on jobs so effectively each page is a job card. You can't convert handwriting to text and you don't have the same array of pens and colours and widths you get on the desktop version (which you have to pay for).
Desktop OneNote is now free as well, it does lose a couple of features from the fully licensed version such as local files and audio/video.

Telstar1948

Desktop OneNote is now free as well, it does lose a couple of features from the fully licensed version such as local files and audio/video.

@jnjroach can you explain what you mean concerning the licensed version/free desktop version concerning audio/video? I have a friend who just downloaded the desktop (free) version & he plans to drop audio clips in OneNote & use search to pull up different words in the clip to re-listen to certain portions of the audio recording. Will he have to buy OneNote for this feature? Thanks.,

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
@jnjroach can you explain what you mean concerning the licensed version/free desktop version concerning audio/video? I have a friend who just downloaded the desktop (free) version & he plans to drop audio clips in OneNote & use search to pull up different words in the clip to re-listen to certain portions of the audio recording. Will he have to buy OneNote for this feature? Thanks.,
Audio and Video Recording are considered Business Features.... so only available on a paid version.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/