What's new

one note search

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought one of the big things about one note was that you could search for words among handwritten notes.

I recall having it work previously, and am aware that right now my internet might as well not exist its so crape. So is searching had written words limited to when you've a good internet connection? Because right now I can make a note and write a word absolutely perfectly letter for letter, yet if I search said word it returns absolutely no results. At this point, I might as well just go with pen and paper for the superior writing experience. The only reason id pick one note over a pen and paper was the ability to search hand written notes. So is this internet based? Seems pretty lame.

ctitanic

You may have a different problem. Search in OneNote does not depend on the Wifi connection. Are your using the full version of OneNote?

ctitanic

Capture.JPG

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive tried both versions. I'd upload the screenshot if it didn't cripple the little internet I have. But I wrote the word Bean on a new note, not joined handwriting, just as clear as is humanely possible. OneNote can find absolutely nothing if I then search Bean. As I say, it worked previously. This expensive contraption is just turning out to be a completely unreliable nightmare for me of late. Very much looking forward to returning it and buying a new one.

One thing I have to consider, is that due to my internet in London, I had to cancel a download of a new firmware halfway through, and windows update told me that the download failed, yet I was not able to turn off or restart the pc without installing said firmware that failed to download, yet windows then tells me it updated it successfully, despite not even having the firmware to install.

I love this device, I wish all the best to Microsoft in this venture, and ill continue to support it, but good god I can't help but think they need to pull their head out of their pass

Edit. Ok, so all of a sudden it works again in 2013, but still absolutely nothing in modern UI OneNote. But I only recently installed 2013, and it did previously work on the modern UI version. As I say, other than the strange firmware update, the only thing that has changed since when I was last able to do it in modern UI, is that I no longer have credible internet, as I said either in this thread, or in another, I'm now at beneath 56k dial up speed.

Either way though, this thing is being returned before the end of the week. I did not pay almost a thousand pounds for a device that only functions when it feels like it. Hopefully the replacement I buy performs in a more positive manner.

Last edited:
OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The search within handwritten notes is not implemented in OneNote MUI.

Well this confuses me. It was one of the first things I tried, and It did work, I showed it off to my family like a small school child. I have only in the past week installed office 2013

ctitanic

Well this confuses me. It was one of the first things I tried, and It did work, I showed it off to my family like a small school child. I have only in the past week installed office 2013
Well, I was wrong. It works in the Metro version too. I'm glad that you Insisted.

Ok, the other thing that could interfere is the Indexing.

Capture.JPG

Also, the Off line files

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I was wrong. It works in the Metro version too. I'm glad that you Insisted.

Ok, the other thing that could interfere is the Indexing.

View attachment 3699

Also, the Off line files

It does? I thought I was going mad for a minute. I'll favourite this page for the future. Right now i guess its not relevant. Tomorrow ill be making sure all of my sensitive information remains for my eyes only, and then its back to Microsoft. Kickstand is driving me mad, makes it feel like a fisher price toy. Sending the keyboard back as well just in case. Got multiple USB device has malfunctioned popup today despite only having used it a couple of times.

Sassi

Well I can only get it to work in the desktop version, it doesn't work in the metro one for me :( not sure why.

Sassi

Yes I have indexing checked.. On further investigation it seems writing in Metro and try searching straight away doesn't work for me. Exit and restart metro doesn't work still. Sync exit restart still doesn't work. Open desktop OneNote and sync and close, now open metro and search works in metro. It seems to need to sync with the desktop app before it will work. Not sure if this is just me or how it works. My metro OneNote is a bit flakey at the moment the pen doesn't open it sometimes and I need to restart to get it to work. Usually after going into standby so there may be an issue with mine.