What's new

One thing I would like to see!

jrapdx

It's definitely not standard USB. Yes, they show up as USB devices, but on GNU/Linux at least you can clearly see it's all under the same "composite USB device" (which houses the wacom, sensors, etc. If the cover is attached, it appears as interface 3 of this device).
Also unplugging/plugging does not make any USB device appear/disappear; rather, this "composite" device briefly resets.

Curious, are you dual-booting Win8.1/Linux on an SP2?

I've been using Hyper-V for Linux and FreeBSD, but of course inside a VM the host's drivers aren't visible. Running these OS in VM is very handy for many tasks, and seems easier to set up than the dual-booting alternative.

Ceepeebee

Never understood the issue with this and modern tablets. How many people carry their phones with them when they leave their house/office as well as their tablets?

Answered yes? Good, then just tether. I know some regions have lock downs on tethering...but if you use it sparingly it all should be fine.

Curious, are you dual-booting Win8.1/Linux on an SP2?

I've been using Hyper-V for Linux and FreeBSD, but of course inside a VM the host's drivers aren't visible. Running these OS in VM is very handy for many tasks, and seems easier to set up than the dual-booting alternative.

Yeah, I do most of my work with GNU/Linux. Also it works mostly great on the SFPro2.

The problem with virtual machines is that they're generally bad at power saving.

Never understood the issue with this and modern tablets. How many people carry their phones with them when they leave their house/office as well as their tablets?
It's not that simple. first, there is reliability -- the Surface may work when your phone does not (it's two devices to take care of instead of one). Then, there is convenience -- the phone may be off, on another room, in the desk, in use, etc. Also, battery life: you are now running down the batteries of two devices instead of one (unless you plug the phone in the surface via usb, but then it's less convenient).

Generally battery life alone is the reason I always use Bluetooth for tethering. A few weeks ago my phone battery life was nearly empty, up to the point enabling Wi-Fi tethering would cause it to shutdown. After turning it back on again, I would still get some time until it would again complain of low battery. In this situation, the battery lasted a full hour using BT tethering!

Also, "GPS tethering" is not easy specially on Windows8.

So even if I personally decided for the SFPro2 against other WWAN-enabled tabletpcs, I can certainly see the motivation.

OP
G

Great

It's not that simple. first, there is reliability -- the Surface may work when your phone does not (it's two devices to take care of instead of one). Then, there is convenience -- the phone may be off, on another room, in the desk, in use, etc. Also, battery life: you are now running down the batteries of two devices instead of one (unless you plug the phone in the surface via usb, but then it's less convenient).

Generally battery life alone is the reason I always use Bluetooth for tethering. A few weeks ago my phone battery life was nearly empty, up to the point enabling Wi-Fi tethering would cause it to shutdown. After turning it back on again, I would still get some time until it would again complain of low battery. In this situation, the battery lasted a full hour using BT tethering!

Also, "GPS tethering" is not easy specially on Windows8.

So even if I personally decided for the SFPro2 against other WWAN-enabled tabletpcs, I can certainly see the motivation.

+ 1

Besides my LTE service is independent from my phone.

I have a SIM card for calls, and a SIM card for data services.

So I have to use a USB LTE modem on my SP2, which is quite inconvenient. :disappointed:

redbrick

Answered yes? Good, then just tether. I know some regions have lock downs on tethering...but if you use it sparingly it all should be fine.[/QUOTE

I struggled w/ this for a while as well. I finally came to the conclusion that if I carried a phone... then why bother with a surface pro? Just use the phone as they almost have tablet functionality these days. I ended up retiring my ipad and stuck the sim in a dongle, the Huawei- E5331.. . . so far I love it. I've also got a small wristband Bluetooth gps if I need it.. .. no cell phone for me. well I could use Skype. :) so happy to be free of cell phones... everyone feels entitled you should be easily accessible. Also the iPad plan was/is cheap and unlimited...