What's new

One website crashes IE, freezes tablet - help !

markoneswift

Hey all, I've got a really strange issue and I just wondered whether anyone could offer any advice. I have a couple of colleagues who use Surface 3 with full updates and when they try to browse www.wotif.com in IE, the tablet freezes solid and you have to hard reset it.

The site works fine on desktops with 8.1 / 7 / xp, laptops with 8.1 / 7 / xp and works on the Surface 3 in Chrome. Could anyone suggest why this one site ( that we need to use for corporate travel etc ) has this odd behaviour in IE on the Surface ? Oh and it affects Surface 2 in exactly the same way.

OP
M

markoneswift

Which device are you experiencing it with?

As I said in my question - a couple of colleagues who use Surface 3 have the issue. I do not experience the issue, but I don't use Surface myself. If I log on to their Surfaces, I also experience the same problem. Cheers

olimjj

Reread your original post You did not indicate that you also have experienced this . Since they are the regular users, it is not useful or efficient to go through a proxy, if forum members have questions to ask. Did they not find it important enough to initiate the thread?

OP
M

markoneswift

Reread your original post You did not indicate that you also have experienced this . Since they are the regular users, it is not useful or efficient to go through a proxy, if forum members have questions to ask. Did they not find it important enough to initiate the thread?

Hmm, I joined this forum to get some help and advice - not for an argument. The 'proxy', as you call me, is a senior system administrator for my users. I do not use a Surface myself, but my users who have them experience problems with a particular website ( www.wotif.com ) crashing their systems when they try to browse the site using IE. I also experience the issue IF I use one of their Surfaces.

I would have thought it is far more efficient and useful to have enquiries for assistance raised by myself who can then implement the necessary changes and / or fixes on behalf of the users, rather than having people with varying degrees of IT proficiency raising the issues independently and trying to fix the issue themselves. But that's just my opinion.

olimjj

You did not initially introduce yourself in this capacity.
FWIW a couple of colleagues of mine did not experience any lockups going to this site using any of the Surface models you mentioned.

OP
M

markoneswift

Thanks for trying out the problem, that is very helpful. I did introduce myself and my capacity in the 'welcome' section as a new forum member, but I didn't want to reiterate everything when I was posting my request for help.

Again thanks for checking and for taking the time to respond, I do appreciate that. Cheers.

Aegeas

HI Mark. Just chiming in that I tested it myself on an SP3 and it works well. No lockups or slowdowns.

ScottyS

That site works fine on my SP3 running Win10TP in IE using Experimental Web Platform Features enabled.
I'll try it with IE in Win8.1 then next time I re-boot to that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My advice, swipe in from the right in IE, tap Settings, then Report Website Problems... report the site.
Second report the problem to the website admins.

Update, now that others have indicted accessing with no problems, you might look at addins and Antivirus issues, possibly Java if installed. Also does this occur through a Proxy server of any kind? Has it been tried from off the corporate network?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has it been tried from off the corporate network?

What i was thinking.

Has anything proprietary etc been installed on these work machines by the systems administrators? Seems odd that noone here has an issue with the site, yet three people all within the same workplace do.