What's new

OneDrive connection problem

Telstar1948

Pardon my lack of understanding, but what is the purpose or benefit of mapping OneDrive? OneDrive is always available to me if I have an internet connection, so you must have something else in mind.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Pardon my lack of understanding, but what is the purpose or benefit of mapping OneDrive? OneDrive is always available to me if I have an internet connection, so you must have something else in mind.
It allows you to see all of your files in Explorer from your OneDrive, another point of caution though... this bypasses the Sync Engine and would only use it on one device....

Kris

I have close to 1TB on Onedrive and a 64GB SP3. Nice not having to open a webpage and download it every time I want something, AKA much easier to interact with non synced files this way. Guess its a crappy work around for those of us that miss Onedrive place holders.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

It will still work.... you just need to hit ok when the credentials screen appears .....

That kind of sucks but it seems a logical explanation.

It allows you to see all of your files in Explorer from your OneDrive, another point of caution though... this bypasses the Sync Engine and would only use it on one device....

Could this be the reason for my abominable sync in OneNote?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why would it make a difference if you had multiple machines and set up drive mappings to OneDrive on each of them?
It depends if changes are being made on multiple machines the sync changes could be over written due to mismatched GUIDs.

Chris Stephen

It depends if changes are being made on multiple machines the sync changes could be over written due to mismatched GUIDs.

Interesting.

I have my main laptop, an older laptop that I mess around with, and then my Surface Pro 3 and I access and modify OneDrive content on all three machines.

I'm still running Windows 8.1 on my main laptop, but have moved to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 and the old laptop. When I had Windows 8.1 on all three machines, I never had a problem with modifying and accessing OneDrive content using any of the 3 machines. Since moving to Windows 10 on two of them I have been testing them leaving my main laptop on Windows 8.1 and have not yet mapped OneDrive but was going to.

So please clarify....... Is what you are saying is that to avoid issues you can only modify OneDrive content on one machine and then use the other machines to view only? Is this because the Smart Files functionality has been removed from OneDrive in Windows 10? Will Microsoft remove Smart Files from OneDrive in Windows 8.1? I'm not sure how OneDrive is really built in to either version of Windows.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What I'm saying is if you are using the Drive Mapping work around you are bypassing the OneDrive Sync Engine, if you want it to work on multiple machines then you'll want to use the OneDrive Folder.

Placeholders as we know them in Windows 8.1 are deprecated and the OneDrive teams says some type of replacement is in the works.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

What I'm saying is if you are using the Drive Mapping work around you are bypassing the OneDrive Sync Engine, if you want it to work on multiple machines then you'll want to use the OneDrive Folder.

Placeholders as we know them in Windows 8.1 are deprecated and the OneDrive teams says some type of replacement is in the works.
What I don't understand is why this affect the Android app. Folders created and files added after the Windows 10 upgrade through mapping OneDrive doesn't show up there. I'm assuming this will be fixed in an update later, just wish Microsoft could be a little more forthcoming with information.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What I don't understand is why this affect the Android app. Folders created and files added after the Windows 10 upgrade through mapping OneDrive doesn't show up there. I'm assuming this will be fixed in an update later, just wish Microsoft could be a little more forthcoming with information.
Most information is going to come from the Windows Team Blog....yesterday they launched the TH2 Betas for Insiders, we'll see what transpires there...