What's new

OneDrive[Help]

Im having all my schoolfiles in my OneDrive, that means one copy in one cloud storage right?

But i use two computers depending on school or home. So lets say i did some changes in my onedrive at school computer.

i come home to see that these changes were not commited to the files in my home computer. instead a new file is created.

Is that it? how practical.

Im writing a thesis in latex and would appreciate all changes done in one place also gets commited to all my computers.

Any help?

OP
S

surferpro3

Nvm im not taking my chances. im trying to find an effective way to keep track, but onedrive is redonkulous. The syncing is so bad. i change my file in one comp, nothing happens in my other comp, or it creates a new file with a hyphen and my computers name on it.

wynand32

First, "writing a thesis in latex" sounds very, very funny to me, probably because "latex" is some education-specific program that I know nothing about. But man, that cracked me up when I first tried to parse it. :)

Second, I don't have any issues with syncing via OneDrive. I change files in one place, and they automatically update in another. That's if I'm sure to give machines adequate time to upload any changes--I've certainly on occasion made a change and then immediately shut a machine down, only realizing later that changes weren't uploaded and I'm seeing older version on other machines. Also, it's important to let the next machine you use fully update OneDrive before accessing files that might have changed.

If you don't give syncing time on both ends, you can definitely end up with conflicts. Otherwise, I've found OneDrive to at least be as reliable as any other cloud storage/syncing solution.

Haldi

Latex is a text tool unsimilar to word. More like HTML.

i've heard lot of bad news about OneDrive with synchronisation speed for bigger files...
Never used it tough :( Dropbox worked fine till now, and we just got a 25gb OwnCloud to access :)

bluegrass

Ya. I thought gloves used for dishes and cleaning or made of latex. I'm sure that it's that kind of latex that he's writing about.

Yes. Syncing on all OneDrive computers that share the same folders takes time. Lots of time if the files are big. I'd give an hour one both ends before I would expect a 2 meg file to be synced to the cloud and than back down to the other computers. Of course syncing to other computers won't happen until they are turned on and have a connection to the Internet.

MickeyLittle

Wow, I haven't noticed this kind of time syncing to Dropbox. But maybe I haven't paid enough attention.

Last edited: