What's new

Onedrive too slow

OP
K

Kris

I've have never experienced the OneDrive being slow, I sync between 4 machines on a regular bases and my Project Folder gets multiple changes at least once an hour all throughout the workday, these can range from a few MB to hundreds of MBs.

OneDrive does run asynchronously were Dropbox tends to run synchronously.

They will be updating OneDrive to use the OneDrive for Business Engine in Windows 10 with updates scheduled for October and something to replace placeholders by December.
Do you know anything about the 20k file limit going away?

Telstar1948

I've run no tests, but OneDrive has had it's ups and downs with me. I've had MS reset OneDrive several times (requiring hours of time in multiple chat sessions) because some things showed up on one device but not the other - not all things just some things. I think they finally got that straightened out (but if you don't compare every file how do you really know?). My general impression is that OneDrive is sometimes rather slow - just my impression. I use Google Drive for some things, but only because OneDrive, that particular day, didn't want to accept a backup file from a particular application but Google Drive, in each case, allowed my device to auto backup without issue. Like some others have voiced here, I much prefer to use only one cloud service like OneDrive just to keep things as simple as possible; however, with OneDrive (ordinary OneDrive not the business version) I've found it to be arbitrary from time to time in its performance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are asking about needing to store more than 20,000 Files?

Why not? Granted I could compress my photo album into a handful of rar files, but sometimes i'd like instant online access without having to download and decompress. I've probably about 50k photo's alone. Let alone about 10k of important documents.

Sure, I can compress, but why should I have to. I don't see the logic in unlimited storage, limited files.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why not? Granted I could compress my photo album into a handful of rar files, but sometimes i'd like instant online access without having to download and decompress. I've probably about 50k photo's alone. Let alone about 10k of important documents.

Sure, I can compress, but why should I have to. I don't see the logic in unlimited storage, limited files.
I was asking a clarifying question to be able to respond....

OP
K

Kris

You are asking about needing to store more than 20,000 Files?
Yes, currently to my knowledge you can only store 20,000 files. I have over twice that in photos. I have put them in 10 gig rar files but that is a pain when I need a specific picture. I have about 102GB of pictures, well my girlfriend does, that I would love to store and be able to access individual files if possible. The file limit, unable to see offline files and speed is what is making me truly consider changing over to a different service, really sad since Onedrive is built right into Windows. I want to keep all my files under one cloud and her camera is a 20-24 mega pixel so Google photo would not work for her.

NClens

Wow, this is news to me, I didn't realize Onedrive had a 20K file count cap. Clearly, this isn't unlimited storage. Now, I'm starting to wonder if Onedrive intentionally has a slow upload engine to minimize use.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On my OneDrive Consumer I have 34,142 files distributed across 3240 Folders...the 20K limit is OneDrive for Business which is an artifact of SharePoint.

NClens

Ah, that's a relief. I want to use Onedrive as a secondary backup for all my uncompressed RAW photo files and lossless music collection, which would have been difficult with a 20K cap. Thanks.

OP
K

Kris

On my OneDrive Consumer I have 34,142 files distributed across 3240 Folders...the 20K limit is OneDrive for Business which is an artifact of SharePoint.
I will try uploading just the files... there's another two weeks lost

OP
K

Kris

size limit.JPG

just got that message from an MS answer desk person
EDIT: Just got off with another MS answer desk person, this one directly for Onedrive. If you que more than 300MB at a time to upload/sync it will dramatically effect your speeds. Both claimed there was no file size limit but were confused about unlimited storage space. Both also tried blaming my internet connection. Telling them that I have used other services that uploaded faster, including other cloud service and and torrents elicited no response other than it was my internet and uploading more than 300mb at a time.

Last edited: