What's new

OneNote App password issue

gman713

I just got my new SP2 and tried to access one of my password protected sections but it will not let me access my notes due to the password. I don't see how I can enter my password to the section to access my notes? I know on my iPad and iPhone 6, I can either enter my password manually or use my touch ID to access my notes on the free IOS One Note app. I figured Microsoft would also allow users to access the included OneNote App on the SP2 that have passwords on it, but I don't see any way to enter it. Please help!

Rudy

I believe that access to password protected sections is only available if you pay for desktop One Note bundled with the Office suite ... I suspect web page access could be used as an awkward work around.

OP
G

gman713

That's strange because I have Office 2013 installed and activated. OneNote for the desktop works fine and let's me enter a password. I wonder why MS let's me enter a password on my free iOS app but not on the Windows Onenote app? You would think that the Surface tablets would get some preferential treatment.

jefhart

Do you not get the "This section is password protected. Click here or press ENTER?" message"? I use both the Windows program and the web access and have not had any problems so the good news is you're probably just doing something wrong. Could you be a bit more detailed about what you're doing to run into the issue?

OP
G

gman713

yes, the desktop version states click here to enter password while the metro version of one note states this section is password protected. It doesn't give me an option to click to enter a password. On a side note, is there an option to use the pen to open up a new note like you can in the sp3?

jefhart

Wait, there is a desktop version and a metro version? I thought there was just the metro version and the mobile/website version?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, there is a desktop version and a metro version? I thought there was just the metro version and the mobile/website version?
Desktop version was introduced in Office 2003 so it has been around for over 10 years....

jefhart

He said Office 2013. I don't believe there would be a reason to have a "desktop" version AND a "metro" version.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
He said Office 2013. I don't believe there would be a reason to have a "desktop" version AND a "metro" version.
Different use cases, desktop is much more powerful but consumes more resources, MUI is lighter but doesn't have the same functionality as the desktop version. Originally the MUI on was free, but now both can be had for free...

It will make more sense when Windows 10 ships, I'm sure...

jefhart

Really, in Office 2013? I purchased a 365 license and even when I open OneNote on a Windows 7 machine it looks Metro-style. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneNote MUI App

upload_2014-12-22_11-57-41.png

OneNote Desktop

Screenshot (59).png

OP
G

gman713

So has anyone figured out how to unlock a section within the app? I can't figure it out but surely there is a way to do this if it's simple to do in ios.