What's new

OneNote in Windows 10

Spoiler

The windows 10 version of OneNote seems to have lost the cool wheel that was there in Windows 8.1. That wheel made it easy and quick to change pen colour and thickness. The Windows 10 version has lost all of this. Makes it useless for note taking in meetings. Is there a way to get it back or do I need to revert back to Windows 8.1?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
AFAIK you cnanot get it back. However you could always just install onenote 2013 and pin your required pens to the quick access bar where you can very easily change things up :) It's the way i did it. No jumping through various ribbons or pen panels etc

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One of the big reason for the changes is to make OneNote Mobile to match the rest of the Mobile Office UIs across all platform...

ScottyS

you could always just install onenote 2013 and pin your required pens to the quick access bar where you can very easily change things up
I never realized you could do that. That saves me a lot of menu digging.

One of the big reason for the changes is to make OneNote Mobile to match the rest of the Mobile Office UIs across all platform...

Ah, the dumbing down of OneNote.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
S

Spoiler

AFAIK you cnanot get it back. However you could always just install onenote 2013 and pin your required pens to the quick access bar where you can very easily change things up :) It's the way i did it. No jumping through various ribbons or pen panels etc

Thanks this is great advice. Al we need now is for MS to fix the bug that stops you from being able to make OneNote 2013 your default and we may be back to usual programming.

OP
S

Spoiler

It does make sense, as MS has planned, to unify every thing across all devises.

ScottyS I would stick with your initial response. It is naff to think that having the same UI across all your devices and applications is more important then usability. A note taking application needs a different UI to a spreadsheet or word processor. Trying to standardise the UI between a mobile phone, desktop and a tablet is just stupid. Your input devices and screen realestate is totally different across all of them and you UI needs to reflect that or you will sacrifice usability and functionality. MS will eventually figure this out and do better with the UI skins offered but in the meantime we are the lab rats.

A lot of companies not just MS are thinking this is a good thing and for them it is. What is totally naff is when the customers drink the same cool aid. We should never be happy to lose functionally to reduce their overheads.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The tabbed interface is the same number of clicks and often less than the radial menu, but also works with a mouse and keyboard, and yes I know many here are straight Tablet Users but we're still a niche in the broad market and those of us who are inkers are even smaller minority.

One of the issues is we consider different as loss of functionality.

OP
S

Spoiler

I am sure it is something I will get used to but I could change pen colour in one click with the radial menu. It is at least two clicks to change the colour in the tab interface. One to drop down the colour tablet and then one to select the colour. That is assuming I am already on the pen tab. If not then it is three clicks. Based on that I am not sure how you can say it is the same or less clicks. Now I am no expert so if there is some short cut I am missing please set me straight.

As for the use with a mouse I am not sure how people struggled with the radial menu. A mouse is more precise so I am not sure why people struggled.

I understand that we inkers are in the minority but as MS has already developed the UI it would be pretty easy to make it an option that people can turn on and off.

Thanks for sharing you view point. It is appreciated. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no problem with a unified set of software, but it seems like you are really limiting yourself if the apps interface is set by the capability of a 5" touch screen.

@Spoiler options, from MS, lol. where would be the fun in that. Imagine actually getting to chose how your machine acts and looks :eek: that is so 2001.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have no problem with a unified set of software, but it seems like you are really limiting yourself if the apps interface is set by the capability of a 5" touch screen.
OneNote on small screens defaults to a Full Screen View....