What's new

OneNote on my SP3

Sassi

Hi,

Just a quick question about my OneNote apps on my SP3. It came with the Metro app installed and subsequently I subscribed to Microsoft Office and have Office 2013 which means I also have the desktop app for OneNote. Having tried both, it seems that the desktop app has more features, but is the Metro app more geared toward touch or are they pretty much equal in that regard?

Basically I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason to keep the Metro app installed now I have the desktop one?

Many thanks

ctitanic

Metro = Touch.

The Desktop version is more powerful but it uses more battery. Notes written in the Metro version will be synched with the full version the next time you connect to Internet.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Ah right thank you, so from a battery life perspective for simple things the Metro version is better then. I'll keep it and use them both with that in mind. Thanks for the reply :)

Tsurugaya

From the vantage point of touch the MUI version is easier to navigate, the radial menu means you have access to a lot of commands in a rather smooth and simple fashion.

malberttoo

Ah right thank you, so from a battery life perspective for simple things the Metro version is better then. I'll keep it and use them both with that in mind. Thanks for the reply :)

What Frank said. Almost ALL Metro apps will be better on the battery. Desktop OneNote has a lot more features and options, but Metro OneNote is optimized for touch, and as well, I really love the radial interface in Metro ON. Supposedly that same radial interface is supposed to be coming with the upcoming Metro Office suite as well, which I find very cool.

kristalsoldier

What Frank said. Almost ALL Metro apps will be better on the battery. Desktop OneNote has a lot more features and options, but Metro OneNote is optimized for touch, and as well, I really love the radial interface in Metro ON. Supposedly that same radial interface is supposed to be coming with the upcoming Metro Office suite as well, which I find very cool.

Do you guys know if MUI Office will also be pen enabled like how OneNote is?

darkyduck

After some notetaking tests I find the desktop app way more suitable for my notetaking than the Metro app. I often switch between penstyles, markers en inserting screenshots, images, rectangles/circles. That's not possible and/or cumbersome in the metro app.

HvT

This week I attended a meeting that lasted 8h. Yes, that long...
I was using OneNote 2013 Desktop version to take notes. Screen brightness was at approx 50% and SP3 with i7 was in flight mode. We took approx 1h break, where I did not use the SP3. The shorter breaks I used to google some topics via WiFi connection. SP3 did not lock for one minute. I left it open, bright (50%...), ready to take notes. And I wrote a lot.
At the end, the battery was between 35% and 40%, down from 100% in the morning. Great!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
This week I attended a meeting that lasted 8h. Yes, that long...
I was using OneNote 2013 Desktop version to take notes. Screen brightness was at approx 50% and SP3 with i7 was in flight mode. We took approx 1h break, where I did not use the SP3. The shorter breaks I used to google some topics via WiFi connection. SP3 did not lock for one minute. I left it open, bright (50%...), ready to take notes. And I wrote a lot.
At the end, the battery was between 35% and 40%, down from 100% in the morning. Great!

That's fantastic!! Personally as a new user I'm finding the metro app easier to handle when writing notes - and I like the circular menu as it's really convenient. I know I saw soem way to get the circular menu in desktop One Note too though so I'll have to do some research there.

kristalsoldier

I don't believe there is any solid info, but you can use the pen in Office 2013. When you put the pen near the screen, an "Ink" tab will appear on the ribbon.

Thanks. I am familiar with that. But I was wondering about the ease of use as is the case with OneNote. But I guess since there is no information about this, it is pointless for me to even think about it.