only 4 hours of battery EVEN WHEN I optimize for battery

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by macmee, Jan 6, 2018.

1. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Bummer, but silver lining is that perhaps something was clearly broken with your OS. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better experience. I certainly. Wouldn't tolerate a 4hr battery life. That just makes me think of my laptops back in 2004

2. macmee

macmee Active Member

The final battery life I got from it was 3.5 hours :(

I installed Linux Mint on it today to see what battery life is in that (maybe there's a problem with my device?). So we'll see.

What sort of battery life do you get from your SP4?

3. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Mine is not a typical use case, but I always used my SP4 (i5) with flight mode and battery saver on when taking notes in onenote and could generally see 7-8 hours without a problem. Although that is more hypothetical than tested, just extrapolating based on drainage per hour in lectures (around 10% an hour, but it would vary depending on the fast ring build I was running on a particular day). When travelling to and from london it would be a 3 hour coach ride and I'd watch films and have well over 50% left by the time I arrived.

4. macmee

macmee Active Member

maybe somehow the thing killing me is that I'm browsing webpages? I remember getting 8+ hours of battery in lectures too, but then I was just in onenote and it was sleeping a lot of the time.

In any case the ARM based windows tablets cant come soon enough. The prospect of 20 hour battery life with a full OS makes me very excited.

5. Seneleron

Seneleron Active Member

Just out of curiosity, did you restore from the restore image on the Surface, or did you use a disk. I remember seeing one that had nothing but issues. . . turned out to be a corrupt restore image on the drive.

Just a thought.