What's new

Only Getting 4hrs of Battery Life

leeshor

It has also been pointed out, several time, that for whatever reason the Metro UI apps will consume less battery than the same or equivalent app on the desktop

M

ManUnited

Technically speaking if the Sp3 (42 W) had the battery used in Macbook the battery life would be:

• MacBook Air with 13” (50W): 11,5 Hours
  • MacBook Pro Retina with 13” (71,8W): 16,6 Hours
  • MacBook Pro Retina with 15” (95W): 22 Hours
This shows how efficient the SP3 is.

With this line of reasoning, the iPad Air (32.4W) is much more efficient, even when taking into account using the SP3 in only Metro Mode. If that was the case, the iPad Air would be achieving close to 13-14 hours, almost doubling the battery of some SP3 users, like myself, who tend to stay in the Metro environment more.

Still, I think this is missing the point I was trying to make when addressing the OP. Is turning many functions off and lowering the brightness by 3/4 capacity the only way to achieve close to what MS stated the battery would be?

I am not trying to be belligerent on this matter, but I have serious questions (as the OP did) about using the SP3 in a "light load" manner and not getting close to the stated battery life.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
For all things there is a reason.
BatRep812.PNG

M

ManUnited

@GreyFox7 — Can you describe how you use your SP3 and on what settings to achieve these numbers? I would greatly appreciate it. I am not seeing numbers such as yours.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GreyFox7 — Can you describe how you use your SP3 and on what settings to achieve these numbers? I would greatly appreciate it. I am not seeing numbers such as yours.
lately I've been on the web all day researching {stuff} with lots of tabs open in MUI IE sometime I get so many I launch the desktop browser to use more in another window. typically have a couple word docs open pasting and editing text and images. view youtube videos, news videos, conference presentations with media player, frequently use excel for typical stuff. download files and PDFs as needed and view them.

I have my screen brightness set to 40% for both plugged in and on battery, have always used less brightness, nothing new for me... I guess I have sensitive eyes. I can spot a skunk at 100 ft in the dark :)

I don't run nick nacks or quirky add ins (don't take that the wrong way im not saying you do). I have done that in the past as a baseline reference point and still I do that out of habit.

As I posted above id look at what you have running periodically to read the pulse of what your system is doing and try to understand their value so you can optimize were possible.

M

ManUnited

@GreyFox7 — Thanks for this information. It seems you and I have similar work patterns. I am curious why you are are achieving 2-3 hours better battery life.

Let me ask this question — does the use of the pen significantly drain battery? I markup a lot of documents and annotate them heavily in Word. Does the combination of being in the Desktop UI and using the pen contribute to the battery wear?

(By the way, I love your comment about "nick nacks or quirky add ins." Not only do I not run them, but wouldn't know how to in the first place. The only adjustment I made was to turn off all live tiles in MUI since I found them annoying.)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GreyFox7 — Thanks for this information. It seems you and I have similar work patterns. I am curious why you are are achieving 2-3 hours better battery life.

Let me ask this question — does the use of the pen significantly drain battery? I markup a lot of documents and annotate them heavily in Word. Does the combination of being in the Desktop UI and using the pen contribute to the battery wear?

(By the way, I love your comment about "nick nacks or quirky add ins." Not only do I not run them, but wouldn't know how to in the first place. The only adjustment I made was to turn off all live tiles in MUI since I found them annoying.)
open up Resource Monitor and go side by side with a document your marking up ... see if anything spikes. OR if you have two monitors go that route... preferably not on battery :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
open up Resource Monitor and go side by side with a document your marking up ... see if anything spikes. OR if you have two monitors go that route... preferably not on battery :)
today may not be a good day to look at performance... with updates running in the background... unless you have already finished and applied them :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you monitoring/displaying that? Is it an app?
run this command in a command prompt... its built-in.
powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

I learned this right here on this site... stick around who knows what other gems will "Surface" :)

foghat

run this command in a command prompt... its built-in.
powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

I learned this right here on this site... stick around who knows what other gems will "Surface" :)

hmmm. I have run that in the past. I just don't remember seeing something that looks like the pic you posted. Will have to take another look.

thx.