Opening the charger.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by jonnym, May 4, 2015.

1. jonnym

jonnym New Member

hello

Having just repaired two eBay replacement chargers I'm hankering after my original one.

The only thing stopping me is working out how to get into it without partially destroying the case. Now I have to accept its just scrap taking up space in a draw so I'm going to get the tools out this week and have a look.

Before I get busy with my arsenal of highly destructive tools, does anyone know how to get the top off without too much damage?

thanks

Jon

2. drolem

drolem Active Member

Looks to me they are ultrasonically welded, so opening it without damage could be a very tough nut to crack. Normally, what I do with similar gadgets is that I put them into a vice, tighten them until they start to bend, release the tension, then tighten them again in a different position, hoping that eventually the weld will crack. Sometimes this technique works, other times it does not.

You can also try a heat gun hoping that they used a glue and not ultrasonic welding.

jonnym likes this.
  3. jonnym

jonnym New Member

I managed to open it with a dremel. Its complicated in there, I confirmed the cable and magnetic plug were OK using a continuity test and that the power pack had failed (not sure why at the moment). The cheap ebay power packs work OK but the magnetic plugs are very very poor. So I decided to chop off the cheap mag plug and join it to the original cable and mag plug.

I now have a fully working charger with a very long cable!

After opening up two cheap mag plugs I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Thanks for the help

Jon