What's new

Opinions on Surface 2 and use while Charging

Chaley80

What are your guys' opinions on using your surface 2 while it is charging. I know that using your cell phone while its charging can ruin its battery and I have experienced that plenty of times, but what about the surface? Any thoughts on the matter?

I know I like to use my micro HDMI and plug it into my TV and watch ESPN or Netflix, but what about when its about to die. Normally I just switch to my laptop but what about just plugging in my surface and continuing to use my surface?

All opinions welcome :):)

kundas1

Maybe a phone is different, but I never heard of a battery being ruined when using a device at the same time as charging it... phone/ tablets or even laptops. What ruins batteries is extreme heat, or bad charging cycles like when letting your battery go completely beyond dead, or sporadic charging cycles (ex. Plug then unplug then plug then unplug ect ect) the same analogy can be applied with laptops, you can use them when they're charging and it doesn't ruin the battery, right?

kundas1

Every phone I've ever had, never did the battery get ruined when charging the battery and using the phone at the same time... ever. I don't know how you came to that conclusion but its not accurate.

oion

I use mine all the time when plugged in.

There are other, separate reasons why one may not want to use a cell phone while it's charging (rare publicized battery flaws, etc., most other reasons have been debunked, so primary reason would be paranoia), but keep in mind that the Pro units can be paired with the official MS docking station, which obviously means you'd be using that tablet while it's plugged in.

CreativeLemming

All of my phones are plugged in >>90% of the time (i.e. when at work it's plugged into my laptop [or surface :)] [[which is also plugged in 90% of the time :)]], or into my car USB charger while on the way to work, or when asleep on my bedside cabinet). No problems with my batteries. Same goes with my all my surfaces and other equipment. Have to say, I do tend to avoid cheap c**p but can understand why some devices might not cope with this.

Don't worry about it - use it as you like and enjoy it.

OP
C

Chaley80

We are getting TOTALLY off topic!! I also use my phone while its charging but that is because I don't really care, but I love my tablet and I want to take the up most care of it. SOOOOL back to using my tablet as its charging

CreativeLemming

Sorry, thought you asked for thoughts on the matter.

Specifically answering your question, you appear to be asking if it's ok to run down your battery while plugged into your TV, then connecting power to recharge it when it's about to die (you currently stop using it and switch to a laptop out of fear of ruining the battery by using it while charging).

I think you'd be better off just leaving it plugged in (not waiting for it to go flat). Draining the battery, then recharging will increase the battery's cycle count and ultimately affect it's ability to hold charge (although probably not enough for you to worry about), regardless as to wether you're using it or not.

General consensus would seem to be don't worry. Microsoft recommend discharging once a month for best care of the battery. Just leave it plugged in.

Should I unplug when battery reaches 100%? - Microsoft Community
Microsoft Surface RT and Surface 2 battery and power | Recharge Surface

CrippsCorner

Never had a battery die on me before, never heard of using it whilst charging to be a bad thing? My Surface is plugged in 95% of the time so I hope not :)

TheIVJackal

*This is my first post! :D
As I do with my laptop, I wish I could just pull the battery on my Surface2 and run it from the charger but I can't, so I just keep it plugged in. I'm a little confused on how to recharge the battery though. Heat kills batteries so if I wait for it to get low (-10%), when I recharge it gets pretty warm on the back which isn't good for the battery. If I recharge often (within 50%), then I'm cutting down more on the number of "recharge cycles" a battery can typically handle... And If I keep it plugged in all the time, then I could also be hurting it by keeping the voltages high! But the least harmful option in my opinion would be to keep the tablet plugged in all the time as today's Li-Ion batteries are "smart" and won't allow themselves to reach harmful voltage levels.
- Aaron

Cisco

I agree with you guys - just one thing to add... You should always have the power adapter plugged in the power outlet before you connect the adapter cable to your cell phone, laptop or tablet. A docking station is already connected so when you dock... no worries there.
It is unwise to connect the adapter to the device first and then the power outlet because there might be a jolt or inconsitency in voltage. That would definately damage the battery.

TPadden

I saw a house burn down once because there was a computer plugged into an electrical socket meant for a phone and someone called ........

Where are you guys getting this stuff? How about a reference or two.