What's new

Optical CD/DVD Drives for Surface 2

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry but it didn't work on my surface 2, it shows up but when I attempt to play a movie it disconnects and connects... in a loop. Never have been able to get a DVD or BluRay to play/work
I did using a Y Cable while plugged in using the trial of PowerDVD...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry but it didn't work on my surface 2, it shows up but when I attempt to play a movie it disconnects and connects... in a loop. Never have been able to get a DVD or BluRay to play/work
Connect/disconnect loop is one symptom of insufficient power.

kundas1

well I had it plugged into a hub... the bluray came with a Y adapter and I thought the insufficient power was the reason UNTIL I plugged it into a hub... still didn't work...

edit: which is another reason why I can't fathom people using portable dvd/bluray players is a good answer to playing movies on the SP3 or S2 because you need a powered hub PLUS the DVD/BluRay PLUS whatever else and it's just too much clutter and problems to deal with... just rip ur movies or get them from somewhere and put them on the MicroSD card and play the movies with no fuss and no muss!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Many Hubs don't provide enough, it worked for me by either plugging the Power Side of the Y Cable into the Pro Power Brick or using a USB Wall Wart.....I only did it to test, no way would I do it on a regular basis...

oion

I would definitely rip all media for use directly off the Surface (or streaming by file server or cloud); the additional power requirements and clutter involved with an external optical drive kind of negate the portability of a Surface, IMO.

OP
FoxForce5

FoxForce5

I would definitely rip all media for use directly off the Surface (or streaming by file server or cloud); the additional power requirements and clutter involved with an external optical drive kind of negate the portability of a Surface, IMO.

Thanks...good advice. Just knowing that I potentially could is good enough...for now.