What's new

Optimizing Surface Pro 3 setup for Windows 10

BearFlag

I was actually hoping that Windows 10 would eliminate having two separate views for tablet vs desktop modes, but while it did improve things over Windows 8.1, it still feels like I’m in a completely separate environment when using my Surface Pro 3 in tablet mode. I was hoping that Windows 10 would be setup in a way that all apps could just sit on the desktop (in one environment).

So how have you guys optimized things such that you’re making the best use of the Surface Pro 3 in Windows 10 as both a tablet and a "laptop". Do you guys just put all your apps in the start menu and never use the tablet mode? The only issue with going pure desktop mode is that when you are not using the physical keyboard, you have to take extra steps to prompt the on-screen keyboard every time you want to type something. In tablet mode the on-screen keyboard automatically pops up every time you click on a field to type.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was actually hoping that Windows 10 would eliminate having two separate views for tablet vs desktop modes, but while it did improve things over Windows 8.1, it still feels like I’m in a completely separate environment when using my Surface Pro 3 in tablet mode. I was hoping that Windows 10 would be setup in a way that all apps could just sit on the desktop (in one environment).

So how have you guys optimized things such that you’re making the best use of the Surface Pro 3 in Windows 10 as both a tablet and a "laptop". Do you guys just put all your apps in the start menu and never use the tablet mode? The only issue with going pure desktop mode is that when you are not using the physical keyboard, you have to take extra steps to prompt the on-screen keyboard every time you want to type something. In tablet mode the on-screen keyboard automatically pops up every time you click on a field to type.

Or Windowed Apps (full screen IF you want) without a "Desktop" at all... really what is a Desktop... a folder to lay stuff, a background. in 8/8.1 a desktop is also a Win 32 walled garden but that's completely unnecessary IMO.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Disable Tablet Mode and set the OSK to be evoked when keyboard is not attached, but at that point you're using the equivalent of Win 7 with pretty new tiles...

lhauser

Since reading this thread on Reddit yesterday, I'm experimenting with leaving my SP3 in tablet mode all the time. I never plug it into a larger screen or use an external (non-typecover) keyboard and rarely use an external mouse. I like the new start menu. I've always kept my desktop clean, so I rarely need it, and if I do, it's easy to pop out of tablet mode to get there. I'll see how it works, but for the moment I'm not seeing a downside.