What's new

Option for connecting monitors

JesseDiaz

I didn't seem to find a thread specifically on the options on having multiple monitors and how to configure them so Im going to start one.
I got my SP3 and want to use it for work. Currently, I have to monitors in my office and was thinking about getting another one. This is what I imagined my setup would be
Oh and I plan to get the docking station-

WIth three monitors. I wanted to have two of the external monitors as extension to my SP3 and on the third monitor, I wanted it to mirror my SP3. So a total of 4 displays ( counting the SP3 )

If that's not possible, I wanted to have two monitors...one an extension to the SP3 and the other one mirroring the SP3 or the first monitors so a total of 3 displays ( including the SP3 )

I understood that the docking station has 2 mini display ports....so for the two external monitors, my second option seems doable, except that Im not sure if I plug these 2 external montiors in, if I would still have access to the SP3 display.

For the three monitors, I was hoping that the mini display port would still be active even after using the docking station and then still have access to the SP3 display.

Am I totally off on this?

I belive I heard that the SP3 can support up to 3 external monitors. Not sure about the docking station but I'm sure you can use monitors that support display port daisy chaining. I'm using an external monitor now without any problems.

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

The HD4400 can handle 3 monitors. Including the integrated LCD!

So 3 external and the SP3...

How do they all have to be a mirrored monitor?

also whats a good resource tso I can see my options and how to connect them

Last edited:

GoodBytes

They can be extended, but the max resolution is 1920x1200 for each display, including the Surface Pro 3 one, as per DisplayPort 1.2 specification (keepin in mind that the display in the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 are connected via displayport inside)
To connect multiple monitors from the 1 plug in the Surface Prom your monitors needs to support daisy chaining.
To learn more: Driving Multiple Displays from a Single DisplayPort Output | DisplayPort

markupstart

According to the info on the Microsoft website for the docking station for the surface pro 3; if you don't have daisy chaining monitors you can hook up one monitor to the mini displayport on the dock and one monitor to the mini displayport on the surface pro 3.

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

They can be extended, but the max resolution is 1920x1200 for each display, including the Surface Pro 3 one, as per DisplayPort 1.2 specification (keepin in mind that the display in the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 are connected via displayport inside)
To connect multiple monitors from the 1 plug in the Surface Prom your monitors needs to support daisy chaining.
To learn more: Driving Multiple Displays from a Single DisplayPort Output | DisplayPort

That's for the link....Im heading over there to read up on it....BUt I thought if you daisy chained, they all had to be mirrored?

Nuspieds

That's for the link....Im heading over there to read up on it....BUt I thought if you daisy chained, they all had to be mirrored?
No, not at all.

You first must make sure that your SP-connected monitor is DP 1.2-compliant. I can't speak about other brands but in the case of Dell, you must enable DP 1.2 support on the monitor, as it is disabled by default.

Then, you simply connect the second monitor to the first monitor using the DP 1.2 output port on the first monitor and everything should work fine (i.e., on the SP, set your system to Extend the display).

OP
JesseDiaz

JesseDiaz

This is not the machine to build a flight simulator :wink:

Two internal monitors for such small, all compacted machine is more than enough.

I would agree...although what fun would it be if I didn't push it to the limit??? LOL
But seriously, I was looking on having two monitors that would extend the display and one that would mirror the SP3 since I always have people in my office and we are reviewing info. I wanted to have that mirrored monitor facing away from my desk where people could view what we are reviewing...oh well....2 will do!