What's new

Original Tablet Input Panel

WAR

In the first releases of Windows Tablet software, we were able to put the cursor in any data entry field and a small "floating" input panel would pop up displaying either the keyboard or pen input screen. This was so convenient.

In Windows 8.1, placing the cursor in some data entry fields does not even bring up the oversized keyboard at the bottom of the screen; the keyboard icon in the task bar has to be selected.

Am I the only one who really misses the old approach?

bluegrass

Sorry, I don't remember pre 8.1 anymore, so I don't miss anything. I only saw all the great new stuff that 8.1 brought us.

ctitanic

In the first releases of Windows Tablet software, we were able to put the cursor in any data entry field and a small "floating" input panel would pop up displaying either the keyboard or pen input screen. This was so convenient.

In Windows 8.1, placing the cursor in some data entry fields does not even bring up the oversized keyboard at the bottom of the screen; the keyboard icon in the task bar has to be selected.

Am I the only one who really misses the old approach?
I miss that specific option. Also I don't understand why the text fields in the desktop version of IE do not call the keyboard.

Reactions: WAR

cmergel

+9 Miss that feature as well. Huge oversight in my opinion.

Love the reference to the TC1100 Jose. My first true tablet love...

OP
WAR

WAR

I'm afraid to go to the Windows 10 preview since my Surface is my work computer. If the floating TIP came back the Surface would be perfect.

malberttoo

I can't say I "miss" the TIP, but I would definitely find it useful if it were available in current OS's.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Ink and Touch APIs were updated in Windows 8.x that didn't include a "SHIM" for the Windows 7 Ink API, desktop Applications need to be updated to support the new API or Windows 10 needs to SHIM the API. My understanding was that their attempts to SHIM in Windows 8.x caused stability issues.

Those of us that long for the good ol' days rememeber that the Windows Ink API that was introduced in XP SP2 and was used through Windows 7 has prone to huge memory leaks...

MarkPayton

I had a meeting with my Microsoft rep this week and I clearly saw a floating TIP on his Surface Pro with Windows 10 preview on it. I don't know what version of 10 he had installed, an older one, I think, but I do not get it on my Surface with the latest release of 10 on it. In fact, I found this forum as I was searching to see if there was a setting that would allow me to change the behavior.