What's new

Original Tablet Input Panel

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a lot of "Stuff" MS folks have access to that will never see the light of day commercially or in a released product. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone using 10041 or later has it....it is not the same as Windows 7

upload_2015-4-17_8-28-35.png

MarkPayton

jnjroach, I am on 10049 and mine looks like the image. When it appears, it is always docked at the bottom of the screen, though I can move it around. But this isn't the behavior I saw on Jeff's computer on the older version. His TIP appeared directly beneath the text box where he was entering data, which is a much more desirable behavior.

Mine does not grow, nor does it add lines while writing as the original Windows XP TIP did, also very desirable behaviors in my opinion. I don't know whether the version on Jeff's computer does either of these, but I didn't see it happen.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
jnjroach, I am on 10049 and mine looks like the image. When it appears, it is always docked at the bottom of the screen, though I can move it around. But this isn't the behavior I saw on Jeff's computer on the older version. His TIP appeared directly beneath the text box where he was entering data, which is a much more desirable behavior.

Mine does not grow, nor does it add lines while writing as the original Windows XP TIP did, also very desirable behaviors in my opinion. I don't know whether the version on Jeff's computer does either of these, but I didn't see it happen.
What happens if you click the "Use Old Version" on the bottom right of that image?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if you click the "Use Old Version" on the bottom right of that image?
It acts like Windows 8.1...

Once I've undocked the input panel when I use my pen to hit a text field (say the Address Input in Spartan) the input panel opens right under the text input. Mine does add additional lines, but if it was an MS Rep, they receive internal builds so they may have made adjustments to the Input Panel.

One thing to also remember is the New Microsoft is willing to try things as experiments in Builds to see how they land, and may try an alternative in another Build, people are thinking way to linearly thinking there are seeing how it will look at RTM or GA. The New Microsoft has adopted the "Fail Forward Fast" Approach to development...

MarkPayton

You are absolutely right, Jeff. Mine does pop up at the point of text entry. Whatever application I did my first test with after seeing Jeff's didn't do it, but at least Spartan and IE and web page input boxes do behave that way now. I don't see the any growth of the input area or additional lines, but at least this is a definite step in the right direction.

OP
WAR

WAR

Has anyone see The WriteIT app from Lenovo. Write anywhere directly where text is accepted. No pop up boxes! I had a terrible experience with a high priced laptop I bought my son and said I'd never buy another one of their products, but boy, I LOVE THAT APP!